beaubiden

Biden, who majored in history, was 46.

Joseph R. Biden III, a 1991 College graduate, died on Saturday, his father and Vice President of the United States Joe Biden announced. He was 46.

His death comes after a long battle with brain cancer. Earlier this week, it was announced that Biden had been hospitalized at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Washington DC.

On Saturday night, Biden's father released a statement saying "It is with broken hearts that Hallie, Hunter, Ashley, Jill and I announce the passing of our husband, brother and son, Beau, after he battled brain cancer with the same integrity, courage and strength he demonstrated every day of his life.”

In 2010, Biden, known as Beau, was first hospitalized for what was described as a mild stroke. Then, last year, he was admitted to the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.

Biden, who was a Delaware native, served two terms as the state's Attorney General before stepping down last year so that he could seek the governorship in 2016. 

Biden is survived by his father Joe and stepmother Jill, his wife Hallie, two children, his brother Hunter and several nieces and nephews.