pennaps

This weekend, hackers converged on Penn for the biannual PennApps hackathon. Here arethe top projects of over 200 submissions developed this weekend. These were the winning top three apps:

1. Lifesaber

This Android wearer app allows any bystander to apply aid if the wearer suffers from cardiac arrest. The program guides the responder through correct CPR, automatically calls 911 and sends the incident location to emergency responders, among other features. 

2. Curiosity

This iOS application identifies objects to provide relevant information about them. For example, it detects company logos and subsequently gives information about the firm and can give nutrition facts about food products.  

3. Fruit Ninja VR Style

A combination of Oculus Rift, Myo and Fruit Ninja, Fruit Ninja VR Style isa program as close to real life Fruit Ninja as possible. 

Other top apps included:

UkeCopter

Use a ukelele to control a drone with this project. The ukelele can either use notes to control where the drone moves or cross over into "dance mode," where the drone moves to the music.

Arpeggio

This program creates a musical composition from a single instrument. After the users play a note on the instrument, the computer instantly generates its own rhythms and notes to collaborate. 

Cold Review

Cold Review connects to the thermostat of an office to adjust the temperature based on the quantity and quality of coders' work. 

Picks

To prevent iPhone users from being overwhelmed with overflowing camera rolls, Picks automatically identifies groups of photos so users can choose the best one to share. 

Body Guard

This innovation takes quadrotor helicopters to the next level by becoming a "personal security guard." The drone silently follows the user around and allows them to shoot opponents with a rubber band gun.

Multify

To allow for optimal multitasking, Multify allows iOS to support more than one app at the same time on the same screen.

Helios

Using meteorological data, Helios predicts daily solar energy production so that energy companies can maintain the optimal amount of renewable and nonrenewable energy.