wishbone_web
Penn vs. Yale Men's Soccer Game Credit: Luke Chen , Luke Chen

Wishbone, a fried chicken restaurant on 40th and Walnut streets, opened briefly for business around noon on Sunday for the first time.

However, the restaurant had to close soon after it opened, citing a lack of food. It will officially open Monday at 5 p.m.

Construction is still finishing up today at the store, owner Alan Segel said.

The new restaurant replaces Lee’s Hoagie House, which had previously held the location for 28 years. In June, the owners of the Hoagie House announced they were closing down the store. By July, Wishbone had bought the space and started construction.

The new restaurant specializes in one main thing — fried chicken. It will offer both lunch and dinner option, and it will also allow customers to buy chicken by weight.

Segel and co-owner and chef Dave Clouser said in a previous interview with the Daily Pennsylvanian that they are planning to offer a signature flavor of chicken and one special flavor that will change about every week.

Even during the short time it was open yesterday, the store was packed, Segel said.

“The food is a perfect balance between chicken and crust,” said Matt Petrella, an Engineering and Wharton junior who lives near the new restaurant. “The green goddess ranch sauce fulfilled my wildest ranch dressing fantasies.”