Senior day for the Penn Women’s tennis team started with high hopes, but ended abruptly in a tough loss the No. 65 Columbia.

Fridays match was called early to accommodate the Time to Shine event with John Legend and Co., after the Lions (11-5, 5-1 Ivy) took an insurmountable 4-0 lead.

Putting an early end to the match may have been more merciful than it was inconsiderate, as the Quakers (10-7, 2-4) were in line to lose the other three matches as well.

It was rough form start to finish for the Red and Blue, starting at first doubles where the formerly No. 44 doubles pair in the country of Sol Eskenazi and Sonya Latycheva fell to duo ranked only four spots behind them, 8-5.

The loss was only their second of the season and came after the sophomore/freshman pair appeared to be in control after going up 5-4, only to drop the next four games.

Junior Stephanie Do and sophomore Alex Ion were also met with defeat 8-3, which clinched the doubles point for Columbia.

The Lions continued to add to their lead after Do and freshman Katherine Jania got to hit the showers early after being routed at second (6-0, 6-1) and sixth (6-1, 6-1) singles respectively.

Latycheva rebounded after being blanked in the first set and took her opponent down to the wire, but eventually fell 7-5 in the second.

At that point the match was called in favor of Columbia, with only Eskenazi winning in her second set 2-1 after dropping the first 3-6.

The Quakers will look to come back with a vengeance in their season finale at Cornell (13-3, 2-3) on Sunday in Ithaca, NY.

Penn women’s tennis splits first Ivy doubleheader of the year

Penn women’s tennis aiming for double the wins this weekend

Quakers tennis drops Ivy opener vs. Princeton, 6-1

Penn squad happy to play the underdog