tonycutout

Tony Bagtas, a Class of 2017 men’s basketball recruit, has played well this season at Westlake High School (Ga.).

With Penn struggling to find its way in the Ivy League this season, it’s easy to start looking towards next year’s team. One of the new faces that will be added to the mix with the next recruiting class is Tony Bagtas. Bagtas is currently a senior on the basketball team for the Westlake High School (Ga.) Lions and was named Region Player of the Year for second straight season.

Additionally, the 5-foot-11 point guard was named to the Georgia Athletic Coaches Association All-Star team and is leading his team into the state playoffs this week. The Daily Pennsylvanian spoke with Bagtas as his team prepared for states after losing in the semi-final of its regional playoffs last week.

Daily Pennsylvanian: What kind of school were you looking for during your recruitment?

Tony Bagtas: Basically, I was just looking for the best situation for me and my style of play, and also for what I am going to do after college.

DP: So why did you choose Penn over the other schools on your list?

TB: Because it was the best academic situation and it is an Ivy League school. [The coaches] showed that they really wanted me and the coaching staff was really genuine about wanting me to play for them. I felt that they are going to do me the right way and they’re not going to do me wrong. It didn’t feel like they were lying to me. I just felt like they were telling the truth about how much they wanted me.

DP: Which of the coaches have you been in contact with the most?

TB: Coach [Jerome] Allen and coach [Ira] Bowman.

DP: What did the coaching staff tell you about where you fit into Penn basketball next season?

TB: They said they were going to let me run the team next year.

DP: You were recently named Region Player of the Year for the second time. What does it mean to you to receive that honor?

TB: It feels good to get that honor. It actually surprised me since I didn’t think they would give it to me twice in a row, so it was a good feeling.

DP: How has your season for Westlake gone this year? Are you satisfied with your own and your team’s performance?

TB: I feel that we are in a good position right now. I felt that we should have won our region, though. But everything happens for a reason, so we just have to play hard in states and hopefully we pull that off.

DP: How would you describe yourself as a player?

TB: A point guard. A true point guard.

DP: Do you have any sort of relationship with any of the other players in your recruiting class, like Matt Howard, Dylan Jones or Dave Winfield Jr.?

TB: No, I haven’t spoken with any of them.

DP: Finally, which mascot would you say is better: a Lion or a Quaker?

TB: (laughs) I like both of them equally.

Recruit Roundup Feb 18

Recruit Roundup Feb 11

Q&A: Penn basketball recruit Matt Howard fuses skill and smarts