Last week, the Interfraternity Council held elections to determine its new executive board. College junior and Psi Upsilon brother Andrew Turell was elected as IFC president and will assume his position in January. Currently studying abroad in Paris, Turell took some time for a Skype call with The Daily Pennsylvanian to discuss his goals for the upcoming semester.

Daily Pennsylvanian: What is your previous involvement with the Greek system? Did you hold a position on the IFC board before?
Andrew Turell: Yes, this past IFC board, I was the judicial inquiry board manager.

DP: How did that position prepare you for your new role as president?
AT: I’ve just been able to build relationships with a number of presidents. I’ve gotten to get a feel for how the IFC board works. I’ve sat in on all of the meetings. And I’ve also gotten to work with [Office of Student Affairs/Fraternity Sorority Life Director] Scott Reikofski already, which is good because I have to start working with him more frequently.

DP: Why did you decide to run for IFC president?
AT: I really enjoyed being on the IFC board this past year. I’ve liked getting to know more people within the fraternity system. I really just wanted to be able to continue that experience.

DP: What are your main goals as president?
AT: I’d like to maintain the positive reputation and the positive atmosphere around the fraternity system at Penn. My main goal is to make sure we continue to play a positive role on campus, both in the social scene and more importantly in terms of philanthropic events and community service.
Also, I’d like to do a review of the rush process to make sure it is working as well as possible — make sure the freshmen are happy with it and make sure all of the different houses are happy with it.

DP: Is there any aspect of IFC you’d like to change or reform?
AT: No, I actually think the system works pretty well. I think we get involvement from a number of different houses. We work well with the University administration.

DP: The previous leaders of IFC, the Panhellenic Council and the Multicultural Greek Council placed an emphasis on interconnecting the three organizations within the Greek system. Is this something you would like to continue?
AT: Absolutely. I was a part of the past board that made this effort. I get along with a number of people in Panhel. I’ve worked with people on MGC. The president retreats at the beginning of each semester are great at building that relationship, and I definitely want to continue that.

DP: What advice do you have for students who are thinking of joining the fraternity system?
AT: Keep an open mind. Go see as many houses as possible. Get to know as many different brothers as possible. There are a lot of rumors and misconceived notions about the fraternity system, but I really think that it’s a very positive system and a very positive group of guys. I believe that there is a house for anyone who wants to join.