Freshman Eskenazi wins Ivy and ITA honors

W. Tennis freshman racks up postseason accolades

· May 23, 2012, 10:55 pm   ·  Updated May 24, 2012, 11:51 am

Share This

The future is bright for Penn women’s tennis as the postseason accolades continue to roll in for freshman standout Sol Eskenazi.

Eskenazi finished her season with a 19-5 overall record in singles and an 18-5 record in doubles for a combined total of 37 wins and 10 losses. In the fall, the Buenos Aires native won the Columbia Invitational Flight A singles draw with three straight-set wins and advanced to the semifinals of the Cissie Leary Invitational later in the season. She also entered the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Regional Draw as a seeded player. She competed in the same matches in doubles alongside partner Jamie Yapp-Shing and won both events.

In the spring, Eskenazi assumed the No. 1 singles position and won her first three matches. After an injury sidelined her for one match, she returned and won her final nine of 11 singles contests, including a 5-2 record in Ivy play.

Eskenazi’s dominance continued in doubles, as she and partner Jules Rodin picked up national rankings and an 11-4 record, including a 3-1 record against nationally ranked players.

Those numbers earned her All-Ivy honors in both singles and doubles. Rodin also earned first-team All-Ivy honors in doubles, and Stephanie Do was named to the second team All-Ivy in singles, marking the first time since 2008 that Penn has had two singles players and one doubles team named to the All-Ivy roster. Eskenazi also won Ivy League Rookie of the Year, becoming the fifth player in Penn history to do so and the second consecutively, as now-pro Connie Hsu won the distinction last year.

Eskenazi also picked up ITA honors, wining the ITA Northeast Region Rookie of the Year award.