10152011_phillydiner052
Philly Diner closes after lease runs out Credit: Ellen Frierson , Ellen Frierson

After a decade at Penn, the Philly Diner at 39th and Walnut streets served its last batch of pancakes Sunday.

General manager Hossein Elbanna explained that the owner decided not to renew the lease. The diner’s employees will be transferred to the owner’s other restaurants in the Philadelphia area.

After a shooting in 2009, the diner shifted from a 24-hours a day to 2 a.m. closing times on weekends and 1 a.m. closings on weekdays, Elbanna said.

Sigma Delta Tau, whose house is just across the street, has held both its annual bid night party and multiple philanthropy events at the diner in the past. College sophomore Sinead Benyaminov, a member of the sorority, said she “loved” having bid night at the diner. Cordelia Meserow, a College sophomore, recalled dancing on the bar on SDT bid night, adding that SDT as a whole was sad to see the end of the diner.

Other students fondly recalled occasional 2 a.m. french fry runs after a night out. College sophomore Courtney Gans, who lives next door to the diner, said the diner’s brunch offerings were some of the few on campus she enjoyed.

Engineering sophomore Chris Holt, who frequented the diner for many an egg platter, called the news “devastating,” saying their food was “always perfect.”