Director of Development
The Daily Pennsylvanian, the 135 year-old award-winning independent student-run news organization serving the University of Pennsylvania community, is seeking an energetic individual to become our Director of Development (“DOD”).
The Daily Pennsylvanian (known as “the DP”) is one of the finest and most decorated college news organizations in the country. The DP has been the voice of the student community, a watchdog of the university administration, a model of journalistic integrity and provides unparalleled real-life work experience for the students who work around the clock publishing news and information. The organization has a staff of nearly 400 student volunteers who publish three websites, a print newspaper and magazine, email newsletters, multiple social media sites, podcasts, videos and more. The DP has produced alumni who are reporters and editors at many media organizations around the world, CEO’s and entrepreneurs, lawyers and doctors, and even several Nobel and Pulitzer prize winners — many of whom consider their work as students at the DP as a transformative experience in their lives.
The DOD will support the future of student journalism at Penn by raising money to sustain and grow this venerable organization, working with students and alumni in a newly-created position designed to enhance engagement and increase philanthropic support primarily from alumni, as well as parents, friends, foundations and corporations.
Note: The Daily Pennsylvanian is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation which is independent of the University of Pennsylvania; this is not a Penn position. The Daily Pennsylvanian is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Title: Director of Development
Job Type: Full-time, M-F, year-round
Reports to: General Manager
Education: Bachelor’s degree required
Experience: Minimum of 4+ years of Development experience, including a strong track record in major gifts fundraising.
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits, including medical, retirement and paid time off.
• Grow, direct and manage all aspects of The Daily Pennsylvanian’s development program.
• Understand the work and mission of the DP and articulate it to diverse audiences through a variety of mediums.
• Formulate fundraising strategies to grow The Daily Pennsylvanian’s fundraising enterprise, including efforts to increase funding from current/past donors, as well as attracting donations from newly identified prospects.
• Create and implement annual strategic fundraising plans/strategies in coordination with the General Manager.
• Organize and implement the DP’s major gift fundraising program, including prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
• Make a targeted number of prospect visits each month/year, with a focus day trips in the Philadelphia area and the Washington-New York corridor, plus occasional multi-day trips to other cities.
• Manage a pool of approximately 75-100 prospects and donors.
• Create a prospect pipeline, and manage prospect tracking/reporting using the eTapestry donor management database.
• Implement an annual giving plan and strategies, including direct response, mid-level and digital efforts.
• Prepare appeal letters, gift proposals and other fundraising collateral.
• Coordinate and support the General Manager’s fundraising efforts.
• Plan and implement alumni cultivation events on campus and in key cities across the country.
• Guide and support the DP Board of Directors and the DP Alumni Association Board in their fundraising responsibilities, including developing a blueprint for the fundraising activities of board members and presenting fundraising training sessions to the boards.
• Plan and implement the DP’s stewardship efforts to ensure all donors are properly thanked, recognized, and engaged.
• Partner with the Office Manager on gift processing, data entry, mass mailings or other development support activities.
• Hire and supervise one or more part-time student development support staff.
• Coordinate with student President on ways to engage student staff members in fundraising activities.
• Identify, develop and implement grant‐seeking strategies, build relationships with foundations, and otherwise act as primary point of contact with institutional funders.
• Draft basic grant proposals as needed, and work with General Manager or grant writer on complex proposals.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the General Manager.
• Broad knowledge of all facets of a non-profit development program.
• Mission-driven and creative leader with strong management skills.
• Ability to set objectives, develop plans and implement programs to meet fundraising goals.
• Ability to establish meaningful long-term relationships with prospects, donors and volunteers.
• Experience in preparing/accompanying senior staff and volunteers on prospect meetings.
• Demonstratedsuccessinworkingwithboardsandothervolunteer groups.
• Excellent organizational, writing and interpersonal skills.
• Highly‐organized, attentive to detail, goal‐oriented and capable of multi‐tasking.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including, but not limited to Excel and Word, plus the ability to learn other software programs as needed.
• Solid understanding of fundraising databases, including segmentation, tracking and donor research capabilities.
• Familiarity with Blackbaud’s eTapestry database a plus.
• Familiarity with student media a plus.
• Familiarity with the University of Pennsylvania a plus.
• Availability for evening and weekend hours as required.
How to apply:
Send your resume with cover letter to DP General Manager Eric Jacobs:
Via postal mail:
The Daily Pennsylvanian
4015 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with a final deadline of December 1, 2019.