dsc-0190

Senior infielder Dana Anderson attempts to steal a base on Apr. 17.

Credit: Hannah Shumsky

Following a disappointing display against Harvard in Cambridge, Penn softball turned its attention to a one-game matchup against Villanova. The defeat served as motivation during Wednesday's matchup, where Penn secured a 4-1 victory at Penn Park — the program's first win against the Wildcats (25-19) since April 2021.

From the first pitch, it was certain the game against the Wildcats was going to be a battle. The scoreboard remained tied at 0-0 throughout the first two innings, with both teams struggling to get going offensively. 

That didn’t deter the Quakers (9-25, 2-13 Ivy), though, who quickly got their offense going at the bottom of the third with an RBI by senior infielder Dana Anderson. Anderson’s offensive contribution was a domino effect going forward in the third, with teammates senior infielder Sammy Fenton and senior utility player Katie Reagan both getting hits and adding two more points to the board.

“We do a really good job of preparing ourselves,” coach Christie Novatin said of Penn’s offensive strategy. “I thought they did the best that we've done in a long time of just sticking to the plan. Sometimes when the moments get big, it's like we try to do too much… I just thought across the board today, we were very disciplined at the plate.”

Carrying forward their defensive momentum into the fourth inning, the Quakers saw junior right-handed pitcher Payton Bean shutting out three of Villanova's batters. However, the Wildcats demonstrated their own strength by securing a run in the top of the sixth.

Despite the initial scare, Novatin remained unfazed when coaching her team’s defense. 

“A big message for our pitchers going into this game was, ‘hey, things are gonna happen’. They’re [Villanova] a good hitting team," Novatin said. "It's not going to be perfect... Let's focus on the rebound.” 

This strategy proved effective as Penn persisted in its rebound and demonstrated a resurgence on offense, sealing the win with a run by sophomore infielder Dani Freer in the bottom of the sixth. The late-season win further emphasizes that although the 2024 season is ending, the future of the softball program is only just beginning. 

“I think this team has a lot to prove,” Novatin says. “They are really proud of their progress…We're just focusing on enjoying each other and continuing to grow the momentum of this program.” 

The Quakers will take on Dartmouth in a three-game series this weekend at Penn Park.