08-21-22-josh-shapiro-jesse-zhang
Credit: Jesse Zhang

Manuel Bonder, a spokesperson for Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro, called on University leaders to maintain student safety in a statement to The Daily Pennsylvanian.

The statement from Shapiro's team came amid a pro-Palestinian encampment on Penn's campus, which is in its second day on College Green. Groups involved in organizing the encampment have called for the University to divest its investment fund from Israel, provide greater transparency on its investments, and reinstate banned pro-Palestinian student group Penn Students Against the Occupation.

“The University of Pennsylvania declared in a public statement that student safety is their top priority and there will be consequences for words and actions that violate university policies, contribute to an intimidating or hostile environment on campus, or are not permitted by local, state, or federal law,” Bonder wrote. “University leaders must follow through on their word and live up to that standard.”

Bonder, on behalf of Shapiro, also emphasized the need to prevent antisemitism while allowing for free expression.

“Governor Shapiro has been clear that Pennsylvanians have a right to peacefully protest — so long as they are doing so within the law and in compliance with university policy,” he wrote. “The Governor has also made it clear that universities must keep their students safe and take a stand to combat hate and antisemitism.”

On Wednesday, Shapiro criticized universities nationwide for failing to adequately protect their students.

“What we’re seeing in some campuses across America, where universities can’t guarantee the safety and security of their students, it’s absolutely unacceptable,” he told Politico at the time, adding that it is “incumbent upon a local mayor or local governor or local town councilor, whoever is the local leadership there, to step in and enforce the law.”

In December 2023, the governor was influential in calling for former Penn President Liz Magill’s resignation.