04-07-24-m-tennis-vs-columbia-carly-zhao

Penn men's tennis played Yale and Brown at the Hamlin/Hecht Tennis Centers on Apr. 13-14.

Credit: Carly Zhao

Penn men's tennis team showcased its resilience and determination in a whirlwind of intense matches this weekend. 

Penn (15-11, 1-4 Ivy) got off to a promising start by clinching the doubles point against Yale (11-9, 2-2), setting the stage for a fiercely contested singles competition. 

The dynamic duo of sophomore Manfredi Graziani and freshman Parashar Bharadwaj showcased their prowess at No. 2, securing a commanding 6-2 victory over Yale's Vignesh Gogineni and Eric Li. Meanwhile, Yale's Theo Dean and Aidan Reilly responded with a resilient performance, overcoming Penn sophomore Kian Vakili and freshman Aaron Sandler with a 6-3 win at No. 1. 

The doubles point hung in the balance until sophomore Matthew Rutter and junior Baylor Sai of Penn delivered a decisive blow, claiming a hard-fought 7-5 triumph over Dylan Tsoi and Jim Ji at No. 3, ensuring the Quakers' lead heading into singles play.

As the focus shifted to singles action, both teams displayed unwavering determination and skill in pursuit of victory. The momentum swung in Yale's favor as the match between Vakili and Dean was retired early in the second set, leveling the overall score to 1-1. Gogineni further bolstered the Bulldog's position with a dominant display at No. 1, propelling the Bulldogs to a 2-1 lead.

Yale continued to build on its momentum with successive wins in singles play, as Ji overcame Sandler with a 6-3 triumph at No. 4. Despite facing an uphill battle, Rutter showcased resilience, notching a crucial win over Reilly at No. 5 to keep the Quakers within striking distance at 3-2. However, Li sealed the victory for his team with a gritty performance, emerging triumphant in a highly contested battle against Sai at No. 3, ultimately securing a 4-2 victory for the Bulldogs.

The intensity of the match was palpable, with every point fiercely contested and every game pivotal in determining the outcome. Although several matches remained unfinished, the result underscored the competitive spirit and skill exhibited by both teams throughout the encounter.

The next day, Penn men's tennis team went back to its winning ways with a commanding 4-0 triumph over Brown (5-17, 0-4), marking a significant turnaround from the team's recent struggles on the court. The Quakers, ranked 59th nationally, delivered a stellar performance at home, securing their first win in Ivy League play and bidding farewell to their home matches for the season on a high note.

Penn set the tone for the match by dominating doubles play, securing the crucial doubles point with victories at No. 1 and No. 3. Sai and Rutter delivered a commanding 6-1 win over Brown's James Lian and Sam Feldman, while Penn's freshman Aaron Sandler and Vakili showcased their synergy with a 6-3 triumph over Brown's Alex Finkelstein and Zander Bravo, clinching the doubles point for the Quakers.

In singles action, Penn continued its momentum with Sandler leading the charge with a convincing 6-4, 6-0 victory over Brown's Chun Lam at the third slot. Rutter followed suit, extending Penn's lead to 2-0 with a solid 6-4, 6-2 win over Brown's Lian at No. 4.

The defining moment of the match came at No. 1, where Graziani demonstrated his grit in a hard-fought battle against Finkelstein. After dropping the second set, Graziani mounted a comeback to secure a thrilling 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 victory, sealing the Quakers' sweep and ensuring a memorable send-off for the team's seniors in their final home appearance.

Although several matches remained unfinished, Penn's dominance was evident across the board, showcasing the depth and talent of their roster. Players like Sai, Bharadwaj, and junior Tal Goodman displayed commendable performances before their matches were halted, underscoring the Quakers' strength across all positions.

Looking ahead, Penn will face another challenging test as it prepares to take on 12th-ranked Harvard and Dartmouth for its final regular-season matches. With the momentum from their victory over Brown, the Quakers are primed to conclude the season on a high note.