04-30-22-relays-franklin-field-anna-vazhaeparambil
The Penn Relays Wall of Fame Class of 2024 includes Shalonda Solomon, Terrence Trammell and Nick Vena. Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

Starting in 1994 to commemorate the 100th iteration of the Carnival, the Penn Relays Wall of Fame is an honor like no other in track and field. This year is no different: the Wall will see the addition of multiple new individuals and relay teams who have previously dominated at the Penn Relays. 

Shalonda Solomon | 7 Relays Watches, NCAA and US 200m Champion

Shalonda Solomon has commanded attention at the Penn Relays across five different appearances. However, prior to becoming one of the greats of the Penn Relays, she was once a new face at the Carnival. She described entering Franklin Field for the first time as a “jaw dropping, heart pounding” experience. 

“I was just in awe of the talent, the production itself, the quality of athletes, and schools that they had there,” Solomon recalled. “And the fans, the fans were just always in it.” 

Despite this immense pressure, Solomon made a splash her first go-around, being named the meet’s outstanding female high school relay athlete. This showing would only be a taste of what she had to offer to the Carnival, as the California native went on to win an impressive seven watches during her Relays career. Many of Solomon’s watches, earned at the various levels of the Relays, were given to those who influenced her life. 

Along with being inducted for her individual performances, Solomon’s 2003 Long Beach Poly 4x400-meter relay team is being inducted for its collective success. The team boasts the second-fastest time in Carnival history for this event and holds a special place in Solomon’s heart. 

“Long Beach Poly is first and foremost a family. The coaches have the heart for their athletes,” Solomon explained. “They’re not just concerned for them on the track. They are also concerned about their well-being and their health.” 

Solomon is making sure her family and friends are packing the stands to see her return to the stadium her athletic career got its jump start. 

“I am truly happy to be honored. I mean, my whole family is coming. I think we may have too many guests coming," Solomon joked. “That's how excited and how happy my family is for me. I’m just truly blessed and honored.”

Terrence Trammell | 4 Relays Watches, 2x Olympic Silver Medalist 

Now coaching track and field at North Carolina A&T State University, Terrence Trammell will take on two responsibilities at this year’s Carnival: celebrating his achievements while preparing his team for the spectacle.

So, what is Trammell’s approach for preparing his team for the Relays?

“Just keep it a normal race. So they won’t get overwhelmed,” Trammel explained. “Try to approach all races the same. Just focus on the execution of the race pattern and make the most of the opportunity.” 

Nobody is more qualified to give advice about mentally preparing for the Carnival than Trammell. Garnering four watches between his collegiate career at South Carolina and representing Team USA in 2002, Trammell has cemented his legacy as integral to the history of the Carnival. Even after 24 years, he still owns the fastest time for 110m hurdles at the Penn Relays, with a time of 13.34 seconds. 

Trammell did not approach his professional debut at the Relays differently compared to his time as a Gamecock. “It didn't differ much after the first time because we competed there so much. You just always knew it was going to be an electrified crowd,” he explained.

On being inducted into the Penn Relays Wall of Fame, Trammell stated, “It feels good to be inducted. I think that it just spoke to the type of career and performances that I have had, so you know that’s exciting.” 

Nick Vena | 4x Boys Shot Put Winner, 2x Outstanding HS Male Athlete at the Carnival 

Hailing from the Garden State, Nick Vena’s home state of New Jersey is just one shot away from Philadelphia — or at least for Vena, who is the most dominant high school shot put thrower in Penn Relays and New Jersey state history. 

Growing up in close proximity to the Carnival, Vena grew up hearing about the athletic extravaganza that is the Penn Relays. As a freshman in high school, Vena was blown away by the grandiosity of the event and its many participants, knowing that his age made him “the lowest guy on the totem pole.” 

Vena dove further into his first performance recalling, “I came away with with a win that year as the underdog, and came away with the MVP.”

Being selected as the Carnival’s outstanding high school male athlete in an individual event, Vena’s successes as a freshman was not a flash in the pan performance. His strength would only improve as he grew into his frame, becoming virtually unstoppable throughout his four years representing Morristown High School. Vena went on to win every high school boy’s shot put event held at the Relays during this time, and was donned the MVP honors once again as a sophomore. 

Vena returned as a collegiate athlete once, representing the University of Virginia. This is an experience that he holds close to his heart due to the “good camaraderie amongst the colleges” and the fierce level of competition he was facing.

Like Trammell, Vena is also coaching at the Relays this week. He has returned to his alma mater, Morristown High, to coach track and field, and feels immense pride in the team he is now coaching. Unlike Trammell, Vena’s coaching strategy prioritizes explaining the immensity of the Relays to first time participants. 

“[All our coaches] do a great job of talking about the history of the Penn Relays and how important it is — these great accomplishments and where they stand in the history of track and field," Vena commented. “I don’t want it to be pressure for them, but I want them to use it as a tool.”