maureen-rush-photo-from-penn-today

Former Superintendent of Penn Police Maureen Rush was appointed to mayor Cherelle Parker's Public Safety Transition Team (Photo from Penn Today). 

Former Vice President for Public Safety and Superintendent of Penn Police Maureen Rush was appointed to Philadelphia Mayor Cherelle Parker's Public Safety Transition Team. 

As part of the team, Rush will prepare for administrative demands and assist executive operations. The public safety transition team’s specific mission is to make Philadelphia safer, cleaner, and greener, all while providing equitable economic opportunities. 

Rush retired at the end of 2021 after a 27-year career at Penn. She introduced numerous public safety initiatives on campus, overseeing a 63% reduction of crime in the Penn Police boundary. During Rush’s tenure, the Division for Public Safety launched Closed Circuit Television and the PennComm Center, contactless PennCard entry, and the UPennAlert Emergency Notification System, among other initiatives. 

Prior to her career at Penn, Rush made history as one of the first 100 female police officers in the city during a time when women weren’t permitted to patrol or be detectives, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. Before joining Penn as the Director of Victim Support & Special Services, she was on the short list to become a captain, according to the article.

“I knew her sense of mission and commitment around public safety and doing so in a progressive way was something that would be a long-term commitment,” former Penn executive and current Drexel president John A. Fry told the Inquirer

Rush encountered criticism from University and Philadelphia community members in recent years. The murder of George Floyd sparked investigations of Rush and Penn’s police’s presence on campus and in West Philadelphia. Police Free Penn and Penn Community for Justice demanded the university defund DPS and fire Rush, raising concerns about her position as president of the Philadelphia Police Foundation. 

Rush drew criticism again after interrupting a student’s virtual University Council Open Forum speech with an expletive-laced comment: "F*** you, bitch.” Penn declined to pursue disciplinary action, and Rush said the comment was not directed towards the student but instead at Penn Police colleagues, sparking backlash. 

However, Penn’s neighborhood underwent a transformation under Rush’s leadership, introducing a theater, a grocery store, a public school, and the University City District, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer

In addition to her time at Penn and her new role serving on Parker’s team, Rush is the Principal of The Rush Group and Security Advisor to the Philadelphia 76ers and Harris Blitzer Sports Entertainment. 

Rush revealed in a previous interview with the Inquirer that she values those with “high emotional intelligence who want to serve people.” 

“Her impact has been tremendous,”  Penn senior executive vice president Craig Carnaroli told the Inquirer. Now, Rush will have the opportunity to make an impact on the city as a whole.