edgar-luzete-monteiro-photo-from-penn-department-of-biology
Edgar Luzete Monteiro, a graduate student in Penn’s School of Arts & Sciences, passed away on Oct. 29.

Edgar Luzete Monteiro, a graduate student in Penn’s School of Arts & Sciences, died on Oct. 29.

Vice Provost for University Life Hikaru “Karu” Kozuma and Dean Steven Fluharty notified the SAS graduate student community of Monteiro's death in an email sent on Nov. 1, on behalf of President Liz Magill and Provost John Jackson. Monteiro was a graduate student in the Department of Biology.

Monteiro conducted research in the Perelman School of Medicine’s Institute for Regenerative Medicine with the Zaret Laboratory on gene regulation. He focused on identifying pioneer transcription factors’ domains responsible for chromatin interaction. In the email, Monteiro was described as a deeply valued community member who made critical contributions to the Zaret Laboratory and Biology Department.

“Edgar was creative and diligent on his projects, which revealed fundamental new insights into gene regulation and biology,” Ken Zaret, the Joseph Leidy Professor in the Department of Cell and Developmental Biology at the Perelman School of Medicine and Director of Penn’s Institute for Regenerative Medicine, said. “He selflessly helped others in the lab. He successfully managed collaborations with other labs. He wrote a published review article virtually all on his own and was highly appreciated by all who knew him. His main thesis project was near completion. Our hearts go out to him, his family, and his friends.”

Monteiro was born in Brazil, where he earned his bachelor’s degree and teaching degree in Biological Sciences from the University of Brasilia. According to the email, he came to Penn for a year of research on the CAPE’S Science Without Borders scholarship during his time at the University of Brasilia.

A gathering for community support was hosted from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Nov. 1, in the Biology Department in the Carolyn Lynch Laboratory. 

“Penn is a supportive community, and we are here for each other during challenging situations,” the email said. “We know that grief can affect people in various ways. Now and always, Penn stands with you, and we want to comfort you.” 

CAMPUS RESOURCES

The HELP Line: 215-898-HELP

Counseling and Psychological Services: 215-898-7021 (active 24/7)

Student Health Service: 215-746-3535

Office of the Vice Provost for University Life: 215-898-6081

University Chaplain’s Office: 215-898-8456

Reach-A-Peer Helpline:

215-573-2727 (every day from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m.)

215-515-7332 (texting service available 24/7)