08-20-23-kevin-stefanski-erik-drost-cc-by-2-0
Penn football alumnus and Cleveland Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski at training camp on Aug. 20 (Photo by Erik Drost | CC BY 2.0).

With Justin Watson sidelined due to an injury, Greg Van Roten and Kevin Stefanski will have to hold their own for the Quakers in the NFL. 

Greg Van Roten — Guard, Las Vegas Raiders

Coming off a huge win against the Packers to launch the Raiders in a pursuit back in the positive side of the win column, the Raiders were able to take the next right step to attain their much needed .500 record after a 21-17 win over the Patriots. Now at 3-3, the Raiders inch up to second in the AFC West. 

Seasoned veteran Van Roten played his role to his best ability, showcasing what the significance of a strong offensive line means for a team to stay in the fight during games that come down to the wire. After the Packers game last week, Van Roten spoke in interviews with Sports Illustrated and highlighted the importance of “pre-snap communication” heading into the game against the Patriots. The communication clearly seemed strong in week six's game with running back Josh Jacobs putting together a strong run game and quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo throwing for a touchdown and 162 yards. 

As the Raiders continue their season, fans should be excited to see some momentum coming from this team after winning their past two games. 

Justin Watson — Wide Receiver, Kansas City Chiefs

Former standout star wide receiver for Penn, and now consistent and reliable receiver for the two-time Super Bowl champions over the past five years, Watson has solidified his resume in the NFL. 

Unfortunately, after suffering a dislocated elbow injury against the Broncos, Watson has been sidelined for the foreseeable future. Reports on the X-rays are negative however, with NFL Network’s Ian Rappaport claiming, “There was no significant damage revealed, sources say, which means Watson should be back sooner rather than later.”

Watson has been a consistent weapon for the Chiefs this season with 21.9 yards per catch, and fans patiently wait to hear of his return.

Kevin Stefanski — Head Coach, Cleveland Browns

Following their bye week, the Browns returned in stellar fashion, dethroning one of the last few undefeated teams in the San Francisco 49ers. 

In a 19-17 upset win against the 49ers, Stefanski brought back a sense of confidence and energy that was much needed for the Browns to make this team 3-2 and third in the AFC North. 

In interviews after the game with ESPN reporters Jake Trotter and Nick Wagoner, Stefanski showed his pride for the grit and tenacity of this team, stating, "Proud of our team. Proud of the fight.” He continued, “We knew the challenge. We knew how good that team is. ... The truth is, we're a good football team. We're not perfect. But we fought like crazy today."

The Browns look to take on the 3-3 Indianapolis Colts next. Let’s see if they can take this fire and fuel to get them another W in their record.