11-30-22-five-guys-liliann-zou
Fast food burger chain Five Guys opened its University City location next to the Quad in January. Credit: Liliann Zou

As the semester ends, The Daily Pennsylvanian took a look at what’s changed in the University City food scene in the past semester and what's upcoming. 

Since January, three new eateries have opened their doors. Fast food burger chain Five Guys opened a University City location in January, making it their fourth Philadelphia location. Five Guys is located at 3714 Spruce St., next to the Quad.

High Street Hoagies also celebrated its grand opening in January, opening a location at Franklin’s Table at 3401 Walnut St. In addition, bubble tea store YiFang Taiwan Fruit Tea also opened its second Philadelphia location at Franklin’s Table in January.

Five Guys, High Street Hoagies, and YiFang Taiwan Fruit Tea will soon be joined by a number of additional offerings in the neighborhood. Acai bowl and smoothie chain Playa Bowls will soon join the University City food scene, with a location at 4034 Walnut St. set to open this summer

Bubble tea store Gong Cha will open a location at The Radian apartment and retail complex, located at 3925 Walnut St. There is currently no information on when Gong Cha will open, but the store’s website states that the location is "coming soon."

A new food hall will also open in University City this coming fall. Located at 3025 Market St., the food hall will feature 16 food and beverage vendors. 

While many restaurants are opening soon, many have also closed throughout the past semester.

Philadelphia-based coffee shop and sustainable retailer United By Blue suddenly closed both of its locations in April, including one located on Penn’s campus at 3421 Walnut St.

Fried chicken restaurant Wishbone closed its University City location in February after being in operation for over 10 years. The restaurant was located at 4034 Walnut St. and its former space will be occupied by Playa Bowls.

Craft beer bar and restaurant City Tap House closed its University City location in February after operating for over 13 years. It was located at 39th and Walnut streets in The Radian.