09-17-22-football-vs-colgate-trey-flowers-anna-vazhaeparambil

Senior running back Trey Flowers looks to run the ball down the field during the game against Colgate on Sept. 17, 2022.

Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

Men’s Cross Country — Zubeir Dagane

Zubeir Dagane began his Penn cross country journey not as a varsity athlete, but on the club team, dedicating his freshman fall to the pursuit of a time fast enough to earn him a spot on Penn’s roster. When he finally broke through, he never looked back, and now the Bloomington, Minn. native leaves Penn with a decorated resume to show for his hard work.

On the track, Dagane owns the ninth fastest 10,000-meter time in Penn history, but on the course, he is just as talented. Dagane’s senior season was highlighted by a top-60 finish at the Ivy Heptagonal Championships — an impressive feat for a runner who, just four years ago, was unsure if he would ever don the Red and Blue.

Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil Senior Zubeir Dagane places third in the College Men's 1500m Championship during the Penn Relays on April 27.

Women’s Cross Country — Lizzy Bader

It was a busy final campaign for Lizzy Bader, who has been one of Penn cross country’s most consistent runners throughout her time in the Red and Blue. Though Bader’s 2020 campaign was taken by the COVID-19 pandemic, Bader continued her steady improvement to become one of the Ivy League’s best during her final season, when she finished 10th at the Ivy League Heptagonal Championships and earned second-team All-Ivy honors.

Bader, a captain for the team, has been credited as an exemplary leader for the Quakers’ younger runners. Though Penn will undoubtedly miss her and her contributions both on and off the course, the impact she has made during her four years will not soon be forgotten.

Credit: Kylie Cooper Senior Lizzy Bader won the 2000-meter steeplechase during last year's Penn Challenge on March 19, 2022.

Field Hockey — Gracyn Banks

Midfielder Gracyn Banks was an all-around game wrecker for the Quakers during her senior campaign, making her presence felt in all aspects of the game. She ranked second on the team in points, first in assists, and led Penn and was third in the Ivy League in defensive saves en route to a first-team All-Ivy nod.

In a season that saw Penn bounce back from an 0-7 start by winning seven of their final 10 games, Banks helped lead the turnaround, anchoring the Quaker defense while still providing production offensively. As the Red and Blue look to build on last season’s second-half surge, finding more versatile contributors like Banks will be crucial.

Credit: Samantha Turner Senior defender/midfielder Gracyn Banks plays defense on a Boston College player during the game on Sept. 9, 2022.

Football — Trey Flowers

There are a number of prolific Penn football contributors who could claim this spot, but running back Trey Flowers earns the nod. Named first-team All-Ivy in his last hurrah with the Quakers, Flowers was the engine behind Penn’s rushing attack, finishing the year with 509 yards and seven touchdowns.

The most memorable moment of Flowers’ senior season came on his final career play, when he punched a pass from sophomore quarterback Aidan Sayin into the end zone for a last-second, go-ahead touchdown against Princeton. Penn’s tailbacks have been a highlight for the team in recent years, and the ever-reliable Flowers is certainly no exception to that rule.

Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

Sprint Football — Andrew Paolini

Paolini finishes his time in the Red and Blue with two All-CSFL selections to his name, including a selection to the second team during his junior season. As a senior, Paolini threw for 1,523 yards and nine touchdowns, good for the second most yardage in the CSFL.

A threat as both a runner and passer, Paolini unlocked a new dimension for Penn’s offense during his time under center. Seniors are difficult to replace at every sport in every position, but after he held down the Quakers’ most important job for the past two seasons, Paolini’s departure leaves large shoes to fill for whoever comes next.

Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil Senior quarterback Andrew Paolini looks to make a pass during the game against Chestnut Hill on Oct. 7, 2022.

Men’s Soccer — Ben Stitz

In a historic season for Penn men’s soccer, there were a number of exceptional contributors, but it was forward Ben Stitz who served as the catalyst for the team's incredible run. Stitz was named both second-team All-Region and second-team All-Ivy, and led Penn to the second round of the NCAA Tournament after winning the program’s first Ivy title since 2013.

Stitz found the back of the net twice in the Quakers’ first round win over Rutgers, and though Penn’s season came to an end at the hands of Syracuse — the eventual national champions — the strides made by Stitz and this year’s Quaker team will echo through the program for years to come.

Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil Senior forward Ben Stitz dribbles the ball down the field during the game against Drexel on Oct. 18, 2022.

Women’s Soccer — Sizzy Lawton

Forward Sizzy Lawton tallied four goals during her senior campaign, and made every last one count. Two of Lawton’s four scores were game-winners, one against Stony Brook and another against Fairleigh Dickinson. She also led the Quakers in both assists and points.

After excelling at a variety of sports before coming to Penn, Lawton made her mark on the soccer field, earning All-Ivy recognition in all three of her full seasons. After starting in 31 out of 32 games during her final two seasons, Lawton will be remembered not only as an excellent player, but as a model of consistency — the kind Penn will look to replicate moving forward.

Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil Senior Sizzy Lawton battles for possession with a Lehigh defender during the game on Sept. 4, 2022.

Volleyball — Madeline McGregor

After not seeing much match time her freshman year and having a sophomore campaign derailed by COVID-19, outside hitter Madeline McGregor has put together an incredible two-year run. Last year, she racked up 170 kills, six assists, and 93 digs. But in 2022, McGregor — who hails from Chicago — took it to a whole new level, with 192 kills, 26 assists, and 180 digs. 

McGregor was also one of only two Quakers to start all 24 matches, and served as team captain, working to mentor and lead her teammates. In a 2022 season for Penn volleyball which was focused more on building for the future, McGregor excelled in setting a positive example for the rest of the program — both on and off the court. 

Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil Senior outside hitter Madeline McGregor digs the ball during a game against Princeton on Oct. 21, 2022.