04-03-23-grant-blvd-moira-connell

The Black-owned fashion brand Grant Blvd will open its flagship store on 34th Street this month.

Credit: Moira Connell

Grant Blvd, a Black-owned and Philadelphia-based fashion brand with a focus on sustainability and ethical clothing production, will open a store in mid-April in University City.

The store — located at 140 S. 34th St. — will be the flagship store and is the second in Philadelphia, following a store at 3605 Lancaster Ave. 

Founder and CEO of Grant Blvd Kimberly McGlonn spoke with The Daily Pennsylvanian about the brand and its new location. She said that the brand’s mission is to create a movement of more conscious consumption and address the challenges of poverty, climate change, and ethical fashion. The new location helps advance this goal by reaching a diverse audience, McGlonn said.

“The idea of being in a place where we can reach residents of the city and also reaching people from all over the world who have traveled to study in Philadelphia means a lot,” McGlonn said.

According to McGlonn, the new location will host a range of events, including art exhibits, vending opportunities with other sustainable brands in Philadelphia, networking events for diverse professionals, and make-and-take events where people have the opportunity to create something to take with them.

“We're really interested in dressing people who see themselves as luminaries and as shapeshifters who have many identities and are moving through the world quickly. Our garments give that sense of freedom,” McGlonn said.

McGlonn said she takes great pride in Grant Blvd being the first Black-owned B Corporation in the fashion space in North America, standing alongside other socially responsible companies like Patagonia, Everlane, and Ben and Jerry's. The B Corporation is a certification by B Lab that recognizes companies for social and environmental responsibility.

"It's about a sense of how do we do what every bit of science tells us makes the most sense, but also how do we address the challenges of our time, whether it be poverty, whether it be climate change, whether it be ethical fashion, and I think it's really about making sure that we are trying to create an equitable, just and sustainable future," McGlonn said.

Penn’s Executive Director of Real Estate Ed Datz said the new store highlights the University’s commitment to sustainability.

“We are thrilled to announce Grant Blvd as the newest tenant in the Shop Penn District. The sustainable clothing retailer’s mission aligns well with the University’s sustainability efforts,” Datz said.