civic-house-biruk-tibebe
The Civic House is currently searching for their next faculty director. Credit: Biruk Tibebe

The Civic House and the Civic Scholars Program are currently taking nominations for their next faculty director. 

Provost Beth Winkelstein and Provost-designate John Jackson, Jr. encourage standing faculty members to send expressions of interest. 

Civic House is an epicenter of civic engagement, promoting individual and collective actions to aid the public. In collaboration with communities at Penn and in the larger Philadelphia area, it promotes social advocacy work and civic education. Civic House aims to prepare students to serve as “lifelong thoughtful citizens and advocates for social change.” 

The Civic Scholars Program is a consecutive four-year program within Civic House, awarded to a select group of students from each incoming class who exemplify outstanding community service. Students in this program attend seminars, civic engagement experiences, and other community-focused extracurriculars. Civic Scholars also complete a capstone research project in their senior year. 

Herman Beavers, professor of English and Africana Studies, has served as faculty director of Civic House and the Civic Scholars Program since 2020. 

“Herman Beavers is the ideal faculty leader to advance Penn’s vital civic engagement programs in the years ahead," then-Provost Wendell Pritchett said in an announcement when Beavers was appointed.  "His wide range of experience exemplifies our highest ideals for engaging Penn students and scholarship with our community, creating a richer experience for everyone involved."

Before Beavers, the position was held by history professor Walter Licht, who founded the Civic Scholars Program in 2007. 

The newly selected directors will be in charge of coordination efforts within Civic House and Civic Scholars, continuing to promote community service on campus, in Greek life, College Houses, and alumni groups through service initiatives. 

Applicants can send inquiries and nominations to Associate Provost Lynne Hunter until May 15.