4-15-23-womens-lacrosse-vs-cornell-erika-chung-samantha-turner
Sophomore attacker Erika Chung throws the ball to the other side of the goal during a game against Cornell on April 15. Credit: Samantha Turner

It would be hard to imagine the season that sophomore attacker Erika Chung had this year if you were making predictions based on her freshman year. In 2022, Chung played in just six games, of which she started none and only accumulated four points (one goal, three assists). Off this limited sample size, it would be tough to predict the revelation that Chung has been in 2023 for Penn women’s lacrosse.

The reality is that Chung has surpassed all expectations in her sophomore campaign, where she has not only started every game, but has also had a major impact on the Quakers’ ongoing success. With one game left in the regular season, Chung's stats are nothing short of impressive. To date, she has totaled 41 points off of 12 goals and 29 assists — with nearly 85% of her shots being on goal. The specific statistic that stands out is the assists, for which she leads the team in — an indication of her ability to make plays for others, in addition to being a solid scorer herself.

Perhaps one her best games came in a match against Columbia on March 4. Chung totaled five assists and a goal, powering the Quakers to a 17-7 win on the road. Another highlight of the season came at Lehigh a month later, where the sophomore tallied two goals and three assists — once again aiding the Red and Blue to a dominant 17-9 victory.

Undefeated in conference play, Penn has outright clinched the Ivy League regular season title and is set to host the conference tournament next weekend. Regardless of how or when this team's season ends, Chung’s campaign has been consistently spectacular and it will be interesting to see how she builds off this success next year as a junior.

Read about the rest of DP Sports' End of the Year Awards for the 2022-23 season here.