04-08-23-womens-lacrosse-karin-corbett-anna-vazhaeparambil
Women's lacrosse coach Karin Corbett during halftime against Yale on April 8. Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

At the end of the 2022 season, Penn women’s lacrosse finished a disappointing sixth in the Ivy League standings. With a 6-9 overall record, including 3-4 against Ivy League opponents, things were looking down for coach Karin Corbett’s squad. 

That has all been turned upside down in 2023. Corbett has not only led her team to a winning record this season, but has already won a regular season Ivy League Title, with prime positioning for a deep postseason run. The Red and Blue are currently 10-4 overall, but more importantly, 6-0 in conference play, with many blowout wins to the team's name. 

Corbett has her team playing consistently on both offense and defense. The team has scored 202 goals this year while it has held opponents to just 144. That’s already more goals than last season with one game still remaining on the regular season schedule. The team's shot percentage has jumped from .385 last season to 0.423, and the assist numbers are already comparable, again, with more games left to go.

Corbett is no stranger to success, with 11 Ivy League championships to her name in her career before this season. She has been at Penn for over two decades and has made Penn a national force in women’s lacrosse. Now, she has a chance to add even more hardware to her already impressive resume. 

Overall, Corbett’s quick turnaround of the team from last year has been nothing short of amazing. The Quakers have now won their Ivy first title since 2018.

Read about the rest of DP Sports' End of the Year Awards for the 2022-23 season here.