collage-smith-burney-leak-lucas-rowing
(Clockwise from top left) Senior defensive back Kendren Smith, sophomore defender Leo Burney, senior outside hitter Autumn Leak, freshman midfielder Mallory Lucas and Varsity Eight A boat from the Penn women's rowing team. Credit: Samantha Turner , Diego Cárdenas, Anna Vazhaeparambil

As the fall season comes to a close, we take a look at five especially noteworthy statistics from fall sports teams. 

Football earns most All-Ivy selections in over a decade

Although it was a team effort that led to the resurgent Quakers winning five more games than last year, several individual contributors took home honors for the Red and Blue. Speaking to the complete nature of the team, the first team selections were spread almost evenly throughout all three phases of the game, with senior offensive lineman Trevor Radosevich and senior running back Trey Flowers representing the offense, while senior linebackers Jake Heimlicher and Garrett Morris represented the front seven. Senior cornerback Kendren Smith made it from the secondary, and finally, senior punter Ben Krimm and sophomore return specialist Julien Stokes made the cut as special teamers. 

Additionally, nine others made the second and honorable mention teams, making it 16 total players who were selected, Penn’s most since 2010. All first-teamers made the squad for the first time in their careers. 

Highlighting the first team, Heimlicher's nine sacks this year were the most for a Quaker since Mike Germino in 1999. Flowers also impressively made the team despite missing three midseason contests. Krimm turned heads with a booming leg on special teams, ending his season with 11 punts that traveled over 50 yards, seven more than second place in the Ivy League.

Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

Senior defensive back Kendren Smith attempts to cover Yale running back Joshua Pitsenberger during the Homecoming game at Franklin Field on Oct. 22.

Women’s rowing wins Princeton Chase for first time in school history

For the first time in the famed history of the event, a women’s rowing team outside of the hosts won the Princeton Chase. That team happened to be the Quakers' Varsity Eight boat, which finished first out of 59 racing boats.

Coxed by Sophia Poersch and Josie Konopka, and also including Samy Morton (7 seat), Brooke Caragher (6), Simone Vorperian (5), Hannah Lemanowicz (4), Catherine Moore (3), Alessandra Bennion (2), and Caroline Soska (bow), Penn’s A boat finished with a time of 15:08.119, an impressive 15 seconds ahead of second-place Radcliffe. Even more impressive was that their B boat finished in third during the regatta, with a time of 15:24.350, which was ahead of both Princeton boats and those of other impressive programs, such as Syracuse, Iowa, and Duke.

It was the last regatta of the impressive fall season for the Quakers, and the Red and Blue found a way to end it on a high note.

Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil The women's Varsity Eight A boat overtakes Drexel during their race in the Navy Day Regatta at Schuylkill River on Oct. 16.

Men’s soccer had seven All-Ivy players, tying totals from team’s 2010 and 2013 squads

The Quakers, whose season ended in the second round of the NCAA Championship to No. 3 Syracuse, had seven players receive All-Ivy distinctions. Sophomores Stas Korzeniowski and Leo Burney, as well as senior captain Isaac McGinnis, earned first team All-Ivy honors. Seniors Nick Christoffersen, Jack Rosener, and Ben Stitz earned second team honors, and sophomore defender Ben Do was an honorable mention. 

Penn also had several players win Ivy League season awards. Korzeniowski was named Ivy League Offensive Player of the Year and Burney was named Ivy League Defensive Player of the Year. Red and Blue coach Brian Gill was named Ivy League Coach of the Year. 

The Ivy League awards supplemented a Quakers’ season that also saw the team capture an Ivy League crown and its first NCAA Championships win since 2010.

Credit: Samantha Turner Sophomore defender Leo Burney looks to head the ball during the first-round matchup against Rutgers in the NCAA tournament at Penn Park on Nov. 17.

Women’s soccer earns most ties in program history

Finishing the 2022 season at 3-6-7, the Quakers secured the highest number of ties in the 31-year history of the program and marked the first time they’ve finished with more ties than wins or losses. Penn started out with three straight draws and earned all seven of its ties within the first 10 games of the season. The closest such campaign to this draw-heavy one came in 2015, when Penn notched a 6-4-6 record with an equal number of wins and ties. 

Though the Quakers performed well out of conference, with all three of their wins coming against non-Ivy foes, they finished 0-5-2 in the Ancient Eight en route to the first winless Ivy record since 1992.

Credit: Diego Cárdenas Freshman midfielder Mallory Lucas looks to pass the ball to freshman forward Anuli Okafor during the game against Columbia at Penn Park on Oct. 8.

Volleyball completes worst season in program history

With a 2-22 record, Penn volleyball marked its worst performance in the 48-year history of the team. The Quakers won one of their opening matches against Fairleigh Dickinson, and just over a month later defeated Cornell at home, but outside of that, they were winless. Out of their 22 losses, 10 came in straight sets, with seven coming after winning just one set. 

Penn also earned a 1-13 record in the Ivy League, which led to the Quakers finishing last in the conference for just the third time in program history. Next season, though, Penn will return over 80% of its roster, meaning an experienced team will have a chance to turn around the Quakers’ fortunes.

Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil Senior outside hitter Autumn Leak spikes the ball against Princeton during the game at the Palestra on Oct. 21.