10-21-17-football-vs-yale-justin-watson-chase-sutton
Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver and Penn alumnus Justin Watson during a college football game against Yale at Franklin Field on Oct. 21, 2017. Credit: Chase Sutton

They say to make every opportunity count. 

With only four catches on the season, Justin Watson is doing just that, hauling in two touchdown passes – his second coming this past Sunday.

Here’s a look at how Watson and the rest of Penn’s alumni in the NFL performed during week seven of the regular season.

Justin Watson — Wide Receiver, Kansas City Chiefs

With 3:35 left to play in the third quarter of Sunday’s game against the San Francisco 49ers, the Chiefs were on San Francisco’s four-yard line with a chance to extend their five-point lead to a commanding two scores.

As quarterback Patrick Mahomes lined up in the shotgun, he snapped the ball and faked a handoff to running back Jerick McKinnon.

Watson, meanwhile, surged across the field after a quick one-step dart, generating enough space between him and veteran 49ers defensive back Jimmie Ward for Mahomes to fire a pass into the end zone.

The touchdown marked Watson’s first and only reception of the game and just his fourth of the season. Among Watson’s other catches this year have been 10- and nine-yard snags and a 41-yard bomb for a crucial score during week two against the Los Angeles Chargers.

Kevin Stefanski — Head Coach, Cleveland Browns

Falling to 2-5 on the season, Stefanski and the Browns lost their fourth consecutive game this weekend. 

The Browns traveled to face the Baltimore Ravens, and though they got off to a hot start – finishing the first quarter ahead 10-3 – the Ravens accumulated 17 unanswered points, and Cleveland was unable to claw back.

“I think you guys [media] understand how frustrating it is when you try to win in this league, you come close and you don’t get it done,” Stefanski said Monday. “It is frustrating because the guys are putting in the work and the coaches are putting in the work, but we have to come away with victories. We are committed to that.”

Next up, Stefanski’s squad will face the Cincinnati Bengals – who have won four of their last five games – in a Monday night Halloween showdown.

Greg Van Roten — Guard, Buffalo Bills

Buffalo had a bye over the weekend, so Van Roten and the Bills did not see any action on Sunday. So far this season, the former Quaker has played 116 offensive snaps and 30 on special teams. 

Of those 116 offensive snaps, 107 came during Buffalo’s week two and three matchups against the Tennessee Titans and Miami Dolphins, where starting center Mitch Morse was plagued with an injury. Though Van Roten typically plays at guard, he transitioned over to center in Morse’s absence and helped the Bills offense notch 41 points against Tennessee.

Prince Emili — Defensive Tackle, Unclaimed

Emili is not currently on an active roster after being waived by the Buffalo Bills on Oct. 4.

The surprising cut came after Emili saw playing time in the team’s week three and four games, and in the latter, made a pass deflection that led to a Bills interception.

Since then, Emili has had workouts with the Las Vegas Raiders, Seattle Seahawks, and Stefanski’s Cleveland Browns, but he’s yet to sign with another team.

Brandon Copeland — Linebacker, Fox Business

After a clutch fourth-quarter sack in his first game with the Baltimore Ravens, Copeland played two more weeks before being relegated to the practice squad, and then cut on Oct. 18.

The Wharton alum and Penn professor hasn’t returned to the NFL just yet, but on Friday afternoon, he did return to TV screens. Copeland appeared on Fox Business, where he discussed NFL players’ finances during and after their careers.

“When you make it to the NFL, you’re also bringing the dreams, hopes, and aspirations of a lot of people with you,” Copeland said. “So the first thing you have to learn is how to say no and how to preserve your own self so that you can create wealth over your lifetime. But you also have to strip away your ego, too, and realize that none of us are actually superhuman. 

“We feel like superhumans on Sunday, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re going to have a 10-year NFL career.”

Copeland also talked about what he learned interning for UBS as a Wharton undergraduate and his recent Netflix reality show “Buy My House,” where he and other investors vied for sellers’ homes.