04-11-22-outreach-email-photo-illustration-jesse-zhang

The Daily Pennsylvanian has gathered a few tips to help make networking a little easier by helping you write a killer cold email.

Credit: Jesse Zhang

Networking is hard. Often, a key part of it is reaching out to alumni or other people you haven't personally met, which can be difficult. The Daily Pennsylvanian has gathered a few tips to help make networking a little easier by helping you write a killer cold email.

1. Personalize the email. 

People are not going to respond to an email that sounds generic. Do some research and find out what the person you are reaching out to is interested in. Genuine interest, knowing your stuff, and a little big of flattery are your best friends here.

2. Identify yourself.

The person you are reaching out to likely has no idea who you are, so give some background on who you are and why you are emailing them specifically. If you have a mutual connection, be sure to mention that in your email. If you don't, that is also completely fine! Just be sure to identify something you have in common with them — even if it is something as simple as them being a Penn alumnus.

3. Keep the email short. 

Don't write a novel when reaching out to someone for the first time; just give them the quick details of who you are and why you are reaching out to them. Give enough details for them to want to respond to you, but not so many that they are overwhelmed.

4. Make an easy request.

Your request should be as easy as possible for them to agree to. Don’t just say that you would love to meet with them — suggest a few possible meeting times, so all they have to do is see if they are free and either agree to meet you then or suggest another time that works for them. 

5. Be appreciative. 

Remember that they are doing you a favor by reading your message and — hopefully — responding to you. Show that you are grateful by saying something as simple as “thank you so much for your time!” It can make a difference