6dd2aa82-eb7e-4f39-94b5-2e9afb272665-sized-1000x1000

President Amy Gutmann greets students at a November football game.

Credit: Sukhmani Kaur

Amy Gutmann, the longest-serving president in the University’s history, will hold an event today to thank students and reflect on her 18-year tenure following her confirmation as the United States ambassador to Germany. 

Gutmann, who resigned from the Penn presidency on Tuesday, sent an invitation emailed to all undergraduate students which stated the event will be held on Feb. 10 from 3:30 to 5 p.m. The event will take place under the heated tent at Penn Commons, according to University spokesperson Ron Ozio. 

“Dr. Gutmann wanted a chance to thank everyone this semester before her eventual departure to Germany. Students can walk through the tent to greet her, and there will also be some students performing,” Ozio wrote in a statement emailed to The Daily Pennsylvanian. 

He declined to comment on what students will be performing, and whether Gutmann will be speaking at the event.

Gutmann was confirmed by a vote of 54 to 42 when the Senate convened Tuesday afternoon, seven months after she was officially nominated for the ambassadorship by President Joe Biden. Shortly after her confirmation, Board of Trustees Chair Scott Bok wrote in an email to the University community that Gutmann will soon be sworn in and "will shortly be departing Philadelphia for Berlin." 

Gutmann is the first woman to serve as U.S. ambassador to Germany.

“Working with the inspiring students I’ve known as president has been without a doubt the greatest privilege and joy of my life,” Gutmann wrote in the event invitation. 

The invitation states that attendees must RSVP to the president’s office in order to attend the event. Attendees will be required to wear a mask and show a green PennOpen Pass upon arrival.

College senior Tori Borlase, the president of the Undergraduate Assembly, said she will be attending the event. She noted some of Gutmann’s accomplishments during her tenure and expressed gratitude for Gutmann’s involvement with Penn’s student body. 

“[Gutmann] has done a lot to increase the amount of scholarships for students, increasing the endowment, and a lot of other initiatives,” Borlase said. “I think Penn will definitely miss how involved she was with students.” 

On Feb. 4, Penn selected former Provost and special advisor to the president Wendell Pritchett to be interim president until University of Virginia Provost M. Elizabeth Magill begins her tenure as Penn president on July 1.

Pritchett, who served as a senior advisor to Gutmann until her confirmation, will be the first Black individual to serve as president of the University. 

“I do have great faith that the next president of the University will continue to build upon [Gutmann’s] legacy and ensure that Penn becomes the best place that it can be,” Borlase said.