a6718079-4ccd-439b-904d-8bd726baabf8-original
Penn President Amy Gutmann speaks to the class of 2025 during the University's 11th Convocation on Aug. 30, 2021. Credit: Max Mester

The entire Senate will vote to confirm Penn President Amy Gutmann’s U.S. ambassadorship to Germany on Tuesday afternoon. 

According to the Senate Cloakroom’s official Twitter account, the vote is scheduled for Feb. 8 at 2:30 p.m. The Senate invoked cloture — a procedure which limits further debate on a pending proposal — on Gutmann’s nomination by a vote of 54-37 on Feb. 2. 

Gutmann previously informed the University community that she would continue to serve until June 30, 2022, unless she were to be confirmed by the U.S. Senate before then. 

On Feb. 4, Penn administrators announced in an email sent to the Penn community that they had selected former provost Wendell Pritchett to serve as the University's interim president pending Gutmann's confirmation. 

M. Elizabeth Magill, who currently serves as provost at the University of Virginia, will begin her tenure as Gutmann’s successor on July 1. Magill, a legal expert and longtime academic, awaits confirmation as the next president of the University pending a Board of Trustees' vote at a meeting to be held in early March. 

Gutmann will hold an event at 3:30 p.m. on Feb. 10 at the Tent on Penn Commons in order to allow the University community to celebrate all it has accomplished during Gutmann's 18 year presidency. Masks will be required for entry, and all community members are required to have green PennOpen Passes in order to attend, according to the event’s announcement. 

Correction: A previous version of this article said the event that will be held at 12 p.m. on Feb. 10 will allow the entire Penn community to celebrate Gutmann's presidency, when, in fact, the event at 12 p.m. event is solely for faculty and staff to attend. A 3:30 p.m. event on that same day will be for students. The DP regrets this error.