04-04-2021-spring-campus-gundappa-saha

In an email today, Penn reiterated its COVID-19 measures ahead of the beginning of on-campus student move-in on Jan.15.

Credit: Gundappa Saha

Penn reiterated its move-in timeline and COVID-19 policies ahead of the spring semester in a message sent to students Wednesday morning.

In an email sent by Vice Provost for University Life Mamta Accapadi, Vice Provost for Education Karen Detlefsen, and Associate Provost and Chief Wellness Officer Benoit Dubé, University administrators wrote that move-in will begin on Jan. 15 at 9 a.m. and that certain students impacted by the delayed move-in may receive credit in their student accounts. Additionally, indoor events will be prohibited through Jan. 24.

On-campus move-in will begin the morning of Jan. 15, and students will not need to select an arrival time.

Undergraduate students living in College Houses or on-campus Greek houses as well as graduate students living at Sansom who were impacted by the delayed move-in will receive credit in their student account by early February, according to the announcement.

Classes will be held online until Jan. 24, during which time professors may choose to provide instruction either synchronously, asynchronously, or a mix of both formats. Administrators wrote that students learning from time zones different from Eastern Standard Time should alert their instructor who "must make sure that all students can engage with course materials, even if they cannot participate synchronously."

Postponed final exams from the fall 2021 semester will be made up during the beginning of the spring semester in the same format they were offered previously. In-person final exams will be conducted between Jan. 26 and Feb. 4. Virtual final exams should be completed as soon as possible, according to the email. 

There will be no indoor events until in-person classes resume. The University will host several "Grab n’ Go" events during this time.

University administrators wrote that student organizations and individuals are not permitted to host parties, and the system for registration of in-person events with alcohol or hosted at a third-party venue is temporarily suspended.

Informal outdoor events are permitted, but mask-wearing is encouraged, according to the University's current COVID-19 guidance. "Grab n’ Go" events hosted by student organizations must be registered through the Vice Provost for University Life.

Administrators added that they will continue to update COVID-19 guidelines as the situation evolves.

"We wish you all a great start to the semester, and we will continue to keep you updated as we move forward together in the weeks ahead," the administrators wrote.