04-02-21-woodlands-cemetery-kylie-cooper

The Woodlands Cemetery on April 2.

Credit: Kylie Cooper

Pennsylvania State Rep. Rick Krajewski (D-Phila.) announced a $99,500 grant for the restoration and improvement of The Woodlands cemetery on Monday.

The grant will be used to improve infrastructure for the cemetery, including the re-pavement of roads to ensure safety and the restoration of pieces of iron in the cemetery’s gates, according to a press release by the Pennsylvania House of Representatives.

The Woodlands is a historic 54-acre green space in University City that encompasses a mansion, cemetery, and landscape. The grounds are located adjacent to the Philadelphia VA Medical Center and the University of the Sciences, off of Baltimore Avenue.

Penn is currently a community partner with The Woodlands. The grounds are a popular spot for both residents and visitors of West Philadelphia to appreciate the scenery and unwind, according to The Woodlands website.

Krajewski currently serves the 188th District of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, which encompasses Penn’s campus and a majority of University City. In 2020, he was endorsed by both Penn Democrats and Penn Justice Democrats and was elected in the June 2020 Democratic primary for Pennsylvania House.

Krajewski also graduated from the School of Engineering and Applied Science with a bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering in 2013.

Jessica Baumert, executive director of The Woodlands, said that the grant will serve to make the grounds more welcoming for all members of the Philadelphia community. 

"We're thrilled to receive this grant funding and so grateful for Representative Krajewski's help in securing these funds,” Baumert said.

Krajewski hopes the improvements will increase the accessibility of the cemetery for Philadelphia residents to enjoy.

“The Woodlands is a beautiful and historic space, visited by many from Philadelphia as well as people who live outside of our city,” Krajewski said in the press release. “I’m glad that this grant funding will allow The Woodlands to make needed improvements, which I hope will allow for more visitors to come and enjoy the peace and serenity of the space.”