2-28-2020-womens-basketball-versus-yale-huddle-samantha-turner

Women's basketball players huddle at the beginning of the game against Yale at the Palestra on Feb. 2, 2020.

Credit: Samantha Turner

Penn women's basketball juniors and seniors have been suspended for four games each this season, Penn Athletics announced Monday afternoon.

In an email to The Daily Pennsylvanian, Director of Athletic Communications Mike Mahoney wrote that the suspension is over a violation of University policy, but did not elaborate on which policy it is. Penn Athletics has declined to offer additional comment and representatives from the women's basketball team were not available for comment at the time of publication.

The Penn women's basketball program will stagger the suspensions over the course of the team's first eight regular-season games. Penn is not slated to play a conference matchup in any of those eight games.

This is not the first time that a team has faced a punishment of such severity. In November 2019, Penn women's volleyball's entire rest of the season was canceled after “vulgar, offensive, and disrespectful" signs were found in the team’s locker room.

The Quakers kick off their season on Sunday, Nov. 14 at Hartford. Their next seven games span through early December, and the team's first game back at full strength will be on Dec. 5 at home against Duke.

More to come on this situation as the story unfolds.