10-02-2021-sprint-football-versus-cornell-andrew-paolini-anna-vazhaeparambil
Junior Sprint Football Quarterback Andrew Paolini runs the ball onto the Cornell sideline at Franklin Field on Oct 2. Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

The dominance continues.

After losing its first game of the season to Army, Penn sprint football has bounced back and won three games in a row. All the Red and Blue's wins so far have been blowouts, and the team's game against Chestnut Hill was no different.

Penn opened the impressive performance with a nine-play, 62-yard drive that ended in a four-yard touchdown run by senior running back Laquan McKever, who finished with two touchdowns and 128 yards rushing. The Quakers also exhibited excellence in their passing game, as junior quarterback Andrew Paolini threw for 187 yards and four touchdowns. 

He was aided by senior tight end Ben Klaus, who had six catches for 105 yards and two touchdowns. Penn had quite a few highlight plays, including a 73-yard strike from Paolini to Klaus, and a 43-yard catch by senior receiver Brendan McCaffrey — both were touchdowns.

Defensively, the Quakers were oppressive and held Chestnut to just one score all game. The Quaker defense were also able to force three turnovers: two forced fumbles and an interception. 

Junior linebacker Lewis Evans had a solid six tackles along with a forced fumble, which he returned for a 62-yard touchdown. 

“We felt good with our scheme today, and it paid off,” Evans said. “We treat every team like it’s a championship game. Every week in practice, we keep the same intensity, and we’ll just keep it up for these next upcoming weeks.”

Coach Jerry McConnell was very happy with his team’s performance, but emphasized that it is important for his players to stay dialed in. 

“We just got to keep our heads down and stay focused on our next appointment... we’ve been taking them one week at a time,” McConnell said. 

This game-by-game approach seems to be working well, and the Quakers will be looking to build on its impressive winning streak against Caldwell at home next week.