10-16-2021-womens-soccer-versus-dartmouth-isobel-glass-carol-gao
Freshman forward Isobel Glass shoots past the Dartmouth defenders straight into the goal for her first college career goal during the game on Oct. 16. Credit: Carol Gao

Penn women’s soccer had a big weekend at home during fall break, facing Dartmouth and Delaware State, and successfully defending their undefeated home record of 8-0. The Quakers defeated both opponents with winning scores of 3-1 and 4-0, respectively. 

A key player this weekend in both games was freshman forward Isobel Glass. 

In Saturday’s game against Dartmouth, Glass only entered the match after the 23rd minute, but she instantly dominated the field. With an assist from sophomore midfielder Lauren Teuschl, Glass drove the ball to the top of the box and shot it toward the bottom right of the goal. She scored to tie the game up 1-1 in the first half; this was also her first goal of the season.

On Monday night against Delaware State, though she played only 31 minutes of the game, Glass was very effective with her time. She tied with sophomore forward Paige Kenton for leading the Quakers with four shots each. Glass also accounted for two out of the four Penn goals against the Hornets. Both of her goals were in the second half. 

The first came in the 69th minute with assists by junior midfielder/forward Sizzy Lawton and senior forward Mia Shenk. Glass received a cross from the left from Lawton, and she turned past a Hornet defender to take a shot inside the right post. Just three minutes later, Glass found the goal again. This time, it was Shenk and another freshman forward, Katerina Peroulas, who assisted. Peroulas found Glass coming from the right side and she drove the goal home right in. 

With the three goals from this weekend, the freshman is now tied with Teuschl and freshman forward Janae Stewart for most total goals this season so far. While Glass is the player with the least amount of minutes played among the three, with only 413 minutes played, she has definitely proven her strengths and effectiveness on the field this weekend. 

Penn will face Yale this Saturday at Rhodes Field at 4:00 p.m with a chance to keep its undefeated home record intact.