09-28-21-fisher-interior

Fisher Fine Arts Library on Sept. 28.

Credit: Gundappa Saha

Fisher Fine Arts Library — a “quiet space” known for its architecture — is expanding its hours beginning Oct. 18 to remain open until midnight on Sundays through Thursdays. 

Study spaces inside Fisher Fine Arts Library were closed from the beginning of the pandemic in March 2020 until the start of the fall semester, when they reopened with limited hours. After slightly extending the library's closing time from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Sept. 19, the library will now be open on Mondays through Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 12 a.m., Fridays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Sundays from 12 p.m. to 12 a.m.

Spaces for individual study are available on the first floor in the Class of 1964 Reading Room and the Seng Tee Lee Reading Room without a reservation, and students can also reserve larger seminar rooms for group work on the library’s website.

While covered beverages are permitted in the library, food is not allowed, with security bag checks at the entrance to ensure this rule is followed. Additionally, patrons are not permitted to talk on cell phones while in the library.

Earlier this semester, Van Pelt Library was one of the only spaces where students in all four undergraduate schools could study and reserve rooms at later times due to Fisher Fine Arts Library’s limited hours. 

College sophomores Jeffery Xi and Izzy Zhang said that the expanded hours of Fisher Fine Arts Library are helpful — especially during midterms and finals seasons. 

“I'm glad that Fisher extended its hours so I can have another place to go study on weekdays and weekends now,” Zhang said.