2018-2019-season-ivy-league-collage-chase-sutton-and-ari-stonberg

The last time Penn played any of its Ivy counterparts was in their 2019 season. Top right photo of Dartmouth is by Ari Stonberg, the other three are taken by Chase Sutton.

Credit: Chase Sutton , Ari Stonberg

After Penn football’s convincing 30-6 defeat of Bucknell this Saturday, we take a look at how the rest of the Ancient Eight fared on opening weekend.

Brown

The Bears returned to action on Saturday with a 45-24 loss to the Rhode Island Rams. Brown kicked off scoring with a 14-yard touchdown pass early in the first quarter but never led again. After going into the half trailing 17-14, Rhode Island scored 21 straight points to pull away and hand Brown an opening weekend loss. The Bears travel to Boston next weekend to take on Harvard in both teams' first conference game of the season.

Columbia

In their opening game, Columbia took on the Marist Red Foxes in a home game at Wien Stadium in Inwood, N.Y.. The Lions were the only Ivy League school that didn’t have spring practices, but that clearly did not affect them, as they trounced the Red Foxes by a score of 37-14. Led by sophomore quarterback Joe Green's 152 passing yards and running backs Dante Miller and Ryan Young combined 212 rushing yards, the Lions racked up 463 yards of total offense and scored 37 unanswered points to win their fourth straight season opener. Columbia hosts Georgetown (1-1) next weekend.

Cornell

Cornell hosted the Virginia Military Institute Keydets yesterday in Ithaca, N.Y. The Big Red fell behind before the half and never led again, dropping their opening game by a score of 31-21. Despite pulling within three after a touchdown with four minutes left in the third quarter, Cornell’s offense fell flat in the fourth quarter, not managing to score. The Big Red will travel to Yale next weekend to take on the Bulldogs in both teams' first Ivy game of the season.

Dartmouth

The Big Green traveled to Valparaiso, Ind. on Saturday to take on Valparaiso Crusaders, taking care of business with a 28-18 win. The 2019 co-Ivy League champions were led by fifth-year quarterback Derek Kyler’s three passing touchdowns and managed to overcome five fumbles on their way to an opening weekend victory. The Big Green plays their home opener next Saturday again Sacred Heart.

Harvard

Harvard opened up its season with a victory over Georgetown, throttling the hosting Hoyas 44-9 in Washington, D.C. Reigning Ivy League Rookie of the Year Aidan Borguet opened the scoring with an impressive 56-yard run on his second carry of the game, and Harvard never looked back, finishing the game with 24 unanswered points through the final three quarters. The Crimson host Brown next weekend in their home opener.

Princeton

The Tigers toppled the Lehigh Mountain Hawks in Bethlehem, Pa. this weekend, pitching a 32-0 shutout to spoil Lehigh’s family weekend matchup. The Tigers offense gained 516 yards, led by senior quarterback Cole Smith’s 412 passing yards and 2019 second team All-Ivy selection Collin Eaddy’s 70 rushing yards and a touchdown. The Tigers host the Stetson Hatters (2-0) next weekend.

Yale

Yale lost its home opener at the Yale Bowl, dropping a 20-17 contest to FCS opponent Holy Cross. After jumping out to a 14-0 lead in the second quarter, the defending co-Ivy League champions managed to score just three points the rest of the way. Holy Cross won its first game at Yale in nearly 40 years on a last-second, 47-yard field goal by Derek Ng. Yale hosts Cornell next Saturday in both teams' league opener.