michael-horowitz-perry-world-house

Michael Horowitz, a professor of political science at Penn and director of Perry World House, was invited to join the David Rockefeller Studies Program in the Council on Foreign Relations as a senior fellow. (Photo from Perry World House)

Penn professor and Perry World House Director Michael Horowitz has been appointed as a senior fellow of the David Rockefeller Studies Program in the Council on Foreign Relations, the CFR announced on Monday.

Horowitz, a professor of political science and Richard Perry University Professor at Penn, will be retaining his positions at Penn while acting as a senior fellow at the CFR. He has taught at Penn since 2007 and served as associate director of PWH from 2015 to 2019 before being appointed director.

According to its webpage, the CFR is an independent membership organization that works to help its members better understand the workings of foreign policy in the United States and in other countries.

The David Rockefeller Studies Program specifically investigates urgent global obstacles and proposes solutions that the general public and governing bodies can execute. The program has over 70 full-time, visiting, and adjunct fellows, according to the CFR's website.

At CFR, Horowitz will mainly research and write on matters associated with defense technology and innovation and will work with CFR’s Digital and Cyberspace Policy program.

As stated on his faculty page, Horowitz’s research focuses on global topics including the geopolitical implication of new technologies, military innovation, international policies, and geopolitical forecasting methodology.

He was awarded the International Studies Association’s Karl Deutsch Award in 2017 for early career contributions to the fields of international relations and peace research. He has also authored books on geopolitical relations, such as "The Diffusion of Military Power: Causes and Consequences for International Politics" and co-authored the book "Why Leaders Fight."

Horowitz formerly worked for the Office of the Undersecretary of Defense for Policy in the Department of Defense and is associated with the Center for a New American Security, the Center for Strategic and International Studies, and the Foreign Policy Research Institute.