candle-vigil-memorial-chase-sutton

Matthew Wang was in Penn's seven-year Biology-Dental program.

Matthew Wang, a member of the College Class of 2021 and School of Dental Medicine Class of 2024, died suddenly on Monday morning.

Wang was a 22-year-old student in the accelerated seven-year joint Biology-Dental program from Princeton Junction, N.J. Vice Provost for University Life Mamta Motwani Accapadi notified undergraduates and first-year Dental students of Wang's death in an email Monday afternoon on behalf of Penn President Amy Gutmann and Provost Wendell Pritchett. 

“Matthew’s family is in our thoughts and prayers. Please help us respect their privacy as they mourn the loss of their loved one,” the email read. 

The Radian, the apartment building where Wang lived, also notified residents of Wang’s death on Monday. 

“We are cooperating fully with authorities, who have not indicated any suspicion of foul play. We will share other pertinent information as it becomes available,” the email from The Radian read. 

The Chaplain’s Office, Counseling and Psychological Services, Special Services, and other offices within the University will host a virtual support session on Monday night at 6 p.m. on Zoom to offer comfort, the email stated. Students will have the opportunity to use breakout rooms to speak directly with support offices as well. 

CAMPUS RESOURCES

The HELP Line: 215-898-HELP

Counseling and Psychological Services: 215-898-7021 (active 24/7)

Student Health Service: 215-746-3535

Office of the Vice Provost for University Life: 215-898-6081

University Chaplain’s Office: 215-898-8456

Reach-A-Peer Helpline:

• 215-573-2727 (every day from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m.)
  • 215-515-7332 (texting service available 24/7)