04-24-21-philadelphia-metro-track-micheal-keenan-chase-sutton

Sophomore Micheal Keehan's first-place finish in the 3000-meter steeplechase earned him the "Moment of the Meet."

In place of the annual Penn relays, the Philadelphia Metropolitan Collegiate Invitational, or “Philly Mets,” was held this past Saturday. The Red and Blue excelled in the localized athletic event. Among these standouts was Penn sophomore Michael Keehan, whose performance earned him DP Sports Player of the Week. 

Keehan competed in the men’s 3000-meter steeplechase, an event in which the Quakers claimed all three of the top spots. Keehan’s time of 8:48.54 was enough to finish first in the event. Paired with the other top three finishes in the event, which came in under 9:00 as well, Keehan’s finish earned him the honor of “Moment of the Meet.” 

Keehan’s impressive performance at Philly Mets helped him score in ways beyond the event. His time was good enough to rocket to sixth all-time in program history. However, his climb in the leaderboard was not limited to Penn’s record books, as his time also slotted in as a top-10 Division I finish this season. 

His run at Philly Mets built upon his first place finish in the 3000m steeplechase a week prior at the Quaker Invitational, where Keehan put up a time of 8:54.43. Earlier this season, he also secured a fourth place finish in the 1,500m in the Temple Invitational and a fourth place finish in the 5,000m at the Penn Challenge. 

Keehan will look to continue his successful sophomore campaign this Friday in the track and field team’s final meet of this shortened season.