0dae0a0c-5382-4447-b03e-d5ff9b487c54-sized-1000x1000
Credit: Kylie Cooper

Penn’s Graduate School of Education earned the top spot in the 2022 U.S. News and World Report Best Education Schools rankings.

Penn tied with the Graduate School of Education at Harvard University for the No. 1 spot. The latest rankings mark the first time that Penn GSE was ranked No. 1 and the sixth consecutive year that it was ranked in the top five. 

Penn GSE ranked No. 2  in the U.S. News 2020 and 2021 Best Education Schools rankings and No. 4 in the 2019 rankings. 

This year, Penn also saw slight jumps in “School Specialty Rankings,” rising two spots to No. 5 in Education Policy Programs and rising one spot to No. 5 in Higher Education Programs, according to the U.S. News rankings.

“We are honored to be ranked in the top position, especially during this difficult year,” GSE Dean Pam Grossman told Penn GSE News. 

U.S. News emphasized GSE’s involvement in educational development in the West Philadelphia community as well as the school’s opportunities for research and student engagement in extracurricular organizations.

U.S. News ranked 277 graduate education programs using 10 different criteria focused on quality, research, and admissions selectivity. Schools were assessed based on their research activity, the academic performance of enrolled students, faculty resources, and reputation among education school deans and professional employers. 

"Credit goes to Penn GSE’s extraordinary faculty, researchers, partners, students, alumni, and staff who work together to further our mission of expanding educational access, especially to those who are underserved or marginalized,” Grossman told Penn GSE News.