benjamin-ben-franklin-statue-college-hall-college-green

Penn ranked No. 14 in U.S. News and World Report's 2021 ranking, earning a global score of 84.2 out of 100.

Credit: Ashley Ahn

Penn was ranked No. 14 in U.S. News and World Report's 2021 ranking of the Best Global Universities, up from No. 17 in last year's ranking.

American universities filled 13 of the top 15 spots in this year's ranking. Penn was joined by four other Ivy League schools in the top 15, with Harvard ranking No. 1. Columbia took the No. 6, spot and Princeton and Yale tied for No. 11.

The University of Oxford and University of Cambridge were the only two institutions outside of the United States to rank within the top 15, coming in at No. 5 and No. 9, respectively.

The report ranked institutions from over 80 countries based on indicators that measure their academic research performance and their global and regional reputations, according to U.S. News.

U.S. News ranked the schools using 13 indicators, including global research reputation, regional research reputation, publications, books, conferences, and total citations.

Penn earned a global score of 84.2 out of 100, up from 82.7 in 2020. The University ranked No. 17 in global research reputation and No. 12 in regional research reputation.

Penn was also ranked in the top 10 for twelve individual subjects, including ranking No. 5 in economics and business.

In U.S. News' ranking of American universities, Penn ranked No. 8, falling two spots from last year's ranking.