img-0437

A person is vaccinated against Covid-19 at the Black Doctors Consortium on Feb 21. White House officials announced that the Pennsylvania Convention Center will house a new mass coronavirus vaccination site.

Credit: Sukhmani Kaur

White House officials will open a new mass COVID-19 vaccination site at the Pennsylvania Convention Center on Wednesday.

The new clinic has the potential to double the number of vaccine doses administered in Philadelphia each week, Billy Penn reported. It will be open seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. 

The clinic will provide an expected 6,000 vaccine doses per day in addition to the vaccines currently being supplied to the City of Philadelphia, according to a Federal Emergency Management Agency release. The clinic will be open for six weeks until mid-April, Billy Penn reported. 

Service will be available by appointment only, with invites sent out through the city's vaccine registry. Residents must show that their ID matches the name on the scheduled visit in order to receive their shots, Billy Penn reported.

The clinic is part of FEMA’s $4 billion effort to vaccinate more people nationally, Billy Penn reported. It will be staffed by city and federal partners, including members of the military.

The site was chosen for its accessibility to people in vulnerable communities, NBC Philadelphia reported. City Health Commissioner Thomas Farley told NBC Philadelphia that the Convention Center is easily accessible for both people driving and taking public transit.

The Convention Center was formerly the site of the Philly Fighting COVID vaccine clinic, NBC Philadelphia reported. The city ended its partnership with the organization after it changed to a for-profit model and unexpectedly stopped offering COVID-19 tests.