8652810972_50f3a8cc11_b

Bryn Mawr and Haverford Colleges announced their plans for an in-person fall semester on March 23. (Montgomery County Planning Commision | CC BY-SA 2.0)  

Bryn Mawr and Haverford Colleges will welcome all students back to campus for in-person instruction in the fall.

In an email to the bi-college community on March 23, Bryn Mawr President Kim Cassidy and Haverford President Wendy Raymond announced that due to reduced levels of COVID-19 infection and optimism about vaccine rollout, the colleges are planning for a fully in-person academic year. This will include in-person classes, shared meals, athletic competitions, and arts performances.

“It would not have been possible for Haverford and Bryn Mawr Colleges to offer in-person options this year without your diligence and commitment," Cassidy and Raymond wrote. "We are grateful to be members of a community where each person protects the well-being of the whole.”

The email stated that the colleges would adjust plans based on unforeseen problems such as novel variants or slow vaccine rollout. Additionally, mask-wearing, limitations on large gatherings, and reduced occupancy in closed spaces will likely remain, according to the email. Information about summer work and research, orientation, and faculty course planning will be announced later.

Both schools offered a hybrid instruction plan for the 2020-21 academic year, which included in-person classes for students that chose to return to campus. Bryn Mawr and Haverford both currently have a 0% positivity rate for students.

The schools join other local colleges — including Penn, Temple University, Swarthmore College, and Penn State University — in announcing plans for a return to in-person learning.