college-hall-fall-campus-leaves

Penn is the only school in the Ivy League to make LendEDU's list.

Credit: Ashley Ahn

LendEDU, a website that focuses on helping consumers make financial decisions, ranked Penn as the 99th best college in the United States for financial aid in 2020.

Penn is the only school in the Ivy League to make the list of 312 colleges from across the country. Penn placed No. 9 among schools in Pennsylvania, with Juniata College, Ursinus College, and Geneva College taking the top three spots in the state. 

Valparaiso University in Indiana placed No. 1 nationally with an overall score of 90.348 out of 100, compared to Penn's 70.454. 

The total score is broken into three subsections with need-based financial aid carrying a 60% weight in regard to overall rankings, non-need based financial carrying a 34% weight, and international financial aid with a 6% weight.

Penn earned a need-based score of 99.538, a non-need based score of 20.654, and an international score of 61.812. The scores are based on school self-reported financial-aid data for the 2018-2019 academic year.

Penn's need-based financial aid program commits to meeting 100% of a student's demonstrated need through a combination of grants, scholarships, and work study-offerings. Penn also commits to meeting 100% of demonstrated need for international students.

The LendEDU ranking offers students a series of advice following the rankings, including information on how to apply for financial aid and how to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.