elections-2020-photo-essay-houston-hall-bodek-lounge-polling-place-voting-booths-chase-sutton

Along with 1968 Wharton graduate Donald Trump's presidential campaign, there are 16 other Penn graduates who are running for governmental office across the country. They span across six states and the majority are running for seats in the United States House of Representatives. Nine are incumbents, while seven are running for the first time. 

Of the 16, 10 are running for office in Pennsylvania, with five of them running for seats in the U.S House of Representatives. 

Pennsylvania:

1984 Penn Law graduate Mary Gay Scanlon is running to represent Pennsylvania’s 5th District in the U.S. House of Representatives again after winning in the 2018 midterm election. Scanlon is running against Republican Dasha Preutt. As of Nov. 4, Scanlon is ahead in the election with 62.9% of the vote.

Also seeking reelection is 1986 Penn Law graduate Matt Cartwright, who is running to represent Pennsylvania’s 8th District again in the U.S. House of Representatives after winning the seat in the 2018. He previously represented the 17th District from 2013 to 2018. He is running against Republican Jim Bognet. Cartwright is narrowly beating his opponent with 51.1% of the reported vote by Nov. 4.

Credit: Tamara Wurman

During his discussion with Penn Dems in 2019, Conor Lamb chose to focus on his support for Joe Biden and criticism of the Green New Deal.

2006 College and 2009 Penn Law graduate Conor Lamb is currently the representative for Pennsylvania’s 17th District in the U.S. House of Representatives, and is running again. Prior to representing the 17th District he represented the 18th District for one year in 2018. Lamb is running against Republican Sean Parnell and is narrowly leading him in a tight race with 50.5% of the vote as of Nov. 4. 

1997 College graduate Christina Finello is running to represent Pennsylvania’s 1st District in the U.S. House of Representatives for the first time. She is running against Republican Brian Fitzpatrick who won the 2018 midterm election. Prior to representing Pennsylvania’s 1st District, Fitzpatrick represented Pennsylvania’s 8th District from 2017 to 2018. Finello is on track to lose with 41.5% of the vote, compared to Fitzpatrick’s 58.5%. 

Also running for the first time this year is 1983 Dental School graduate Gary Wegman. Wegman is running to represent Pennsylvania’s 9th District in the U.S. House of Representatives. He’s running against Republican incumbent Dan Meuser who won the seat in 2018. Wegman is losing with only 33.1% of the vote while Meuser has 66.9% of the vote. 

At the local level in Pennsylvania, 2013 Engineering graduate Rick Krajewski is running to represent Pennsylvania’s 188th District, which encompasses Penn’s campus. Krajewski won the Democratic primary election in June, defeating three opponents —  35-year incumbent Jim Roebeck, Greg Benjamin, and Karen Dunn. He is running unopposed in the general election. 

Jennifer O’Mara, who received a master’s in English from Penn in 2017, is running again to continue to represent Pennsylvania’s 165th District in Pennsylvania’s House of Representatives. O’Mara is running against Republican Bob Smythe. O'Mara is currently winning in a close race with 50.3% of the vote compared to Smythe’s 49.7%.

Nina Ahmad, who received a Ph.D. in chemistry in 1990, is running for Pennsylvania Auditor General. Ahmad was formerly deputy mayor for Philadelphia and is running against Republican Tim DeFoor, Green Party nominee Olivia Faison, and Libertarian Jennifer Moore. Of the four running candidates, none are incumbents. Ahmad is losing with 44% of the reported votes while DeFoor has 52% of the votes. 

1985 College graduate Joseph Torsella is running for re-election as Pennsylvania State Treasurer. As a declared Democrat, he has held the position since 2017. He is running against Republican Stacy Garrity. With 82% reporting, Torsella is behind to Garrity, 46% to 51%. At Penn, Torsella majored in economics and history and went on to study at Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar. He also went on to serve as U.S. Representative to the United Nations and was the founding president and CEO of the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia.

Credit: Autumn Powell

Lauren Lareau, who obtained her master’s degree in human development from Penn’s Graduate School of Education in 2012, is running to represent District 142 of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives. Lareau is running against Republican incumbent Frank Furry who has held the seat since 2008. As of Wednesday, Farry was leading by a vote of 23,841 to 14,209 with all precincts reporting with unofficial results. 

Washington, D.C.

2011 College graduate Marcus Goodwin is running for one of the two seats on Washington D.C.'s Council at Large for the second time after losing in 2018. Goodwin is running against 23 other candidates, and only Democrat Robert White is an incumbent.

New Jersey

1997 College graduate Josh Gottheimer is  running for re-election in Congress in the U.S. House of Representatives as a Democrat from New Jersey in the 5th District. He won against Republican opponent Frank Pallotta with 57.8% to 41.2% with 70% of the votes reported. He is running against Republican opponent Frank Pallotta. After graduating from Penn, he returned to the University to teach history. In the 2018 midterm election, he ran against a fellow Penn alumnus and Republican opponent, John McCann, who obtained a master’s degree in government administration of the Fels Center of Government in 1995. 

California

1999 College and Wharton graduate David Min is running for the first time to represent California in the State Senate from the 37th District. The Democrat is running against Republican State Senator John Moorlach, who currently represents the district. As of Nov. 4, Min has 52% while Moorlach has 48%.

Georgia

In Georgia, David Scott, who obtained his MBA from Wharton in 1969, is running for re-election to the U.S. Congress as a representative from the 13th District. He has held the seat since 2003. He won with 77% against 22.9% with 90% of the votes already counted. Scott is running against Republican opponent Becky Hites. 

Maryland

David Trone, who is running from the 6th District of Maryland, also obtained his MBA from Wharton but in 1985. Running as an incumbent on the Democratic ticket since the 2018 midterm elections, he faces Republican opponent Neil Parrott, who is a member of the Maryland House of Delegates. Trone currently has 54.6% of the vote while Parrott has 43.7%. Green Party nominee George Gluck has 1.7% of the vote.

Indiana

2004 Wharton graduate Trey Hollingsworth is running for re-election to the U.S. House of Representatives to represent Indiana’s 9th District. He won the seat in 2016 and is running against Democrat Andy Ruff and Libertarian Tonya Mills. Hollingsworth is beating both opponents with 67.3% of the vote, as of Nov. 4.