penn-medicine-hup

The Hospitals of the University of Pennsylvania and Penn Presbyterian Medical Center also ranked the No. 1 hospital in Pennsylvania and No. 1 in the Philadelphia Metro Area.

Credit: Kylie Cooper

U.S. News & World Report ranked the Hospitals of the University of Pennsylvania and Penn Presbyterian Medical Center as the No. 15 best hospital in the United States.

The two Penn Medicine hospitals rank three spots higher in the 2020-21 Honor Roll released on June 28, in comparison to their placement last year. 

The ranking marks the hospitals' 14th consecutive year on the U.S. News list, which is based on a variety of factors across 16 areas of specialty care, including patient survival rates and patient experience quality. The 20 hospitals with the highest evaluated rankings, as well as the greatest number of high performing procedure and condition ratings, are recognized on the Honor Roll.  

HUP and Penn Presbyterian are ranked as the best hospitals in Pennsylvania and in the Philadelphia Metro Area, according to U.S. News.

In the 16 specialty rankings, HUP and Penn Presbyterian placed in the top 20 in nine of the categories. The Penn Medicine hospitals ranked No. 9 in Ear, Nose & Throat, No. 11 in Diabetes & Endocrinology, and No. 13 in Pulmonology & Lung Surgery. 

Although it placed ahead of HUP and Penn Presbyterian hospitals in national and state rankings last year, the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Presbyterian Shadyside ranked No. 2 in Pennsylvania this year and did not place in this year's national rankings. 

All four of Penn Medicine’s other hospitals — Pennsylvania Hospital, Chester County Hospital, Lancaster General Health, and Princeton Health — also ranked regionally and earned national honors in specialty care categories.