hospital-of-the-university-of-pennsylvania
Credit: Zach Sheldon

U.S. News & World Report ranked the Hospitals of University of Pennsylvania and Penn Presbyterian Medical Center among the top 20 best hospitals in the United States.

The two Penn Medicine hospitals tied for the No.18 spot in the 2019-20 Honor Roll released on Tuesday, four spots lower than their placement last year. The ranking factors included survival rates and nurse-to-patient ratios across 16 specialties of care. Hospitals then received points based on their rank within specialties, and the top 20 hospitals earned a spot on the Honor Roll.

HUP and Penn Presbyterian are the best hospitals in Philadelphia, according to U.S. News, and the second best hospitals in Pennsylvania, behind University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Presbyterian Shadyside. UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside also placed ahead of Penn Med's hospitals nationally at No. 15. 

HUP and Penn Presbyterian nationally ranked in 11 adult specialties and placed in the top 20 in six of those specialties including Ear, Nose & Throat at No. 7, Gynecology at No. 11, Cancer at No. 18, and Cardiology & Heart Surgery also at No. 18.

Pennsylvania Hospital, also part of Penn Med, ranked nationally in neurology and neurosurgery at No. 31 and gynecology at No. 43. 

Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals followed HUP and Penn Presbyterian at second among Philadelphia hospitals and third in Pennsylvania. Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals also ranked nationally in eight specialties and in the top 20 in three of those specialties including Ophthalmology at No. 2, Orthopedics at No. 10, and Gastroenterology & GI Surgery at No. 16.

Philly Voice reported U.S. News updated their ranking methodology for its 30th annual Best Hospitals Rankings, which may have caused shifts in rankings when considering nearly 5,000 hospitals. 

In June, U.S. News ranked The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia as the No. 2 pediatric hospital in America, a rise from No. 3 in the 2018-19 Honor Roll. CHOP also took the No. 1 spots in both Pediatric Diabetes and Endocrinology and Pediatric Gastroenterology and GI Surgery with perfect scores.