fran-dunphy-basketball
Fran Dunphy coached the Penn men's basketball team from 1989 to 2006. Credit: Jonathan Meter

Retirement isn’t for everybody. 

Former Penn and Temple basketball coach Fran Dunphy has been named the Acting Director of Athletics at Temple effective July 1, succeeding Patrick Kraft, who left the Owls for a similar position at Boston College. 

"Although this is a new role for Fran Dunphy, the truth is that he's been a leader at Temple, in Philadelphia and in the nation for decades," Temple President Richard Englert said. "From the court to the classroom, to his advocacy and philanthropic efforts, Fran has time and again proven his dedication to our university and our city, and we look forward to seeing the positive impact he will undoubtedly make as acting director of athletics."

Dunphy presided over the Red and Blue as basketball coach for 17 seasons from 1989 to 2006, during which the Quakers won ten Ivy League titles and 310 total wins. In 2006, he left for Temple, where he led the Owls to seven NCAA Tournament appearances in 13 years, before retiring in 2019. 

As a result of his long tenure at the helm of Philadelphia college basketball teams, he has the most coaching wins in Big 5 history.

In his retirement from coaching, Dunphy continued to co-teach the course Management, Theory & Practice: From the Locker Room to the Board Room with Lynne Andersson in Temple's Fox School of Business, which he had been doing for over a decade. 

However, after only one year away from college athletics, Dunphy is ready to take charge of Temple Athletics. 

"Temple called, Dick Englert called, and asked me if I would take on this role. I said I'm happy to serve in any way," Dunphy said. "When Temple calls and asks, my tendency is to say 'yes.'"

Dunphy is taking over at an uncertain time for college athletics with the coronavirus pandemic still going strong. With several universities opting to cancel fall sports in recent days, the legendary basketball coach will have an important decision to make for the Owls.

The Philadelphia Inquirer reported that Dunphy is not considered to be in the running to take over the position on a full-time basis, although that could change, and that Temple hopes to find a permanent replacement within 90 days.