crowd-of-demonstrators-museum-of-art-to-city-hall-philadephia-george-floyd-protests-eighth-day

The largest crowd yet with over ten thousand demonstrators protest the murder of George Floyd for the eighth consecutive day. 

This story was last updated at  3:01 p.m. on June 6. Please check back for new updates.

Protesters march to City Hall and back to Museum of Art before concluding

Updated at 3:01 p.m. on June 6

The line of protesters reached well over a mile and a half as they marched from City Hall back to the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

As the front of the line ascended the Museum steps, leaders spoke to the thousands of demonstrators as they made their way to the front of the Museum. 

Lines of protesters reached over a mile and a half as demonstrators marched from City Hall to the Philadelphia Museum of Art. 

“There [are] still people on Spring Garden Street. There [are] thousands of us,” a leader said. 

Dozens of portable toilets and mist stations have been installed near the Museum. They were installed by City officials in the middle of the night and this morning, the Inquirer reported.

Many protesters also brought hundreds of bottles of water to the steps of the Museum and distributed them for free, as temperatures reached nearly 90 degrees on Saturday.

Protesters brought and distributed bottles of water as temperatures rose above 80 degrees. 

As protesters disperse from the Museum, a dance circle of dozens of adults, families, and small children has begun. Eugene Puryear, one of the leaders of the protest, called today's demonstrations “one of the best spirits in a crowd” he had ever seen.

Largest Philadelphia protest begins at the Philadelphia Museum of Art as demonstrations continue for the eighth consecutive day

Updated at 1:30 p.m. on June 6

More than 10,000 demonstrators gathered at the Philadelphia Museum of Art at around 12 p.m., marking the largest protest in Philadelphia over the recent murder of George Floyd since they began on May 30.

Credit: Kylie Cooper

A sea of over ten thousand demonstrators crowd at the Philadelphia Museum of Art for the eighth consecutive day. 

The protest was organized by the Party for Socialism and Liberation, and has featured speakers from various organizations that demanded the removal of the National Guard from Philadelphia and the resignation of the Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw. 

Rising College senior and president of Beyond Arrests: Re-Thinking Systematic Oppression (BARS) Michael Williams denounced both Penn and Temple for their continued funding of private police forces while refusing to pay PILOTS

Credit: Kylie Cooper

Rising college Senior and president of BARS Michael Williams addressed a crowd of 10,000 demonstrators at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. 

“We are calling on the University of Pennsylvania and Temple University to divest from the Philadelphia Police Department,” said Williams. 

Protesters began to march to City Hall at around 1:10 p.m., chanting "Justice for George Floyd!" and "Whose streets? Our streets!"

Large protest canceled due to thunderstorms; others continue throughout the city

Updated at 5:40 p.m. on June 5

The group of demonstrators who planned to resume protesting today at 2 p.m. canceled their efforts due to a thunderstorm forecast this afternoon. The group plans to continue tomorrow.

Others, however, marched through the rain-soaked streets of Philadelphia, most notably stopping at the Italian Market mural of former Mayor and Police Commissioner Frank Rizzo, where they knelt for nine minutes.

While this group is far smaller than previous days, residents and passing cars have continued to show their support by banging on pots and pans and honking, respectively.

Credit: Kylie Cooper

Less people protested in Philadelphia on June 5 due to thunderstorms. 

Thursday's demonstration concludes on steps of Philadelphia Art Museum, will resume tomorrow at 2 p.m.

Updated at 6:33 p.m. on June 4

Over 1,000 protesters ascended the steps of the Philadelphia Art Museum to briefly rest in the shade.

Minutes later, the crowd walked down the steps and the demonstration’s leaders began speaking again.

“It got a little chaotic today. We are still learning. It will get better,” one leader said.

Lee Scott Lorde, another leader of today’s large group, spoke about the meaning behind the continuing protests.

“When you look at someone with a different skin color, just remember: they bleed the same color you do,” she said.

Another leader announced protests will continue again tomorrow at 2 p.m., beginning at the LOVE Statue by City Hall. 

On Saturday, there will be a candlelight vigil for George Floyd at 8:46 p.m. at the steps of the Museum. The start time is symbolic of the eight minutes and 46 seconds Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin knelt on Floyd’s neck.

Before concluding Thursday’s protests, the thousands of remaining demonstrators laid down on the steps of the Museum and surrounding plaza for eight minutes and 46 seconds, reciting Floyd’s final words, “I can’t breathe.”

Protesters dispersed with their hands in the air, chanting “Hands up, don’t shoot.”

Protesters lay in front of the Philadelphia Museum of Art for around nine minutes. 

Thousands of protesters continue marching through streets of Philadelphia as two groups split

Updated at 5:08 p.m. on June 4

Thousands of protesters have marched down Market Street and are now sitting in front of City Hall, on the corner of Juniper and Market Streets. The protests comprise a smaller group from the Workers World Party, as well as a larger group of demonstrators led by different individuals.

Thousands of demonstrators continued to march down Market Street where some begin to disperse. 

Again, two leaders from each group are speaking over one another.

Sam Barton, one of the leaders of the protest that began at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, spoke to a reporter from The Daily Pennsylvanian.

“Philly is a big city. Me and my group can only do so much. It got a little messy, but we are trying to bring it back together because we are all here for the same reason,” Barton said.

The groups have now split up. The Workers World Party has congregated at City Hall, near where the Rizzo statue once stood. Less than 20 people remain with the group.

The larger group, led by Barton, Lorde, and others, is marching back towards the Museum.

Over two dozen police vehicles, including an armored tank, are following the demonstration. Earlier in the day, protesters stopped marching and clapped for police to thank them for supporting the movement and remaining peaceful, a leader said.

An armored tank followed the demonstrators throughout Center City. 

Discussion between leaders of separate demonstrations continue in front of Independence Hall

Updated at 4:19 on June 4

Both the Workers World Party demonstration and the larger demonstration, which originally met at the Philadelphia Art Museum, have now descended upon Independence National Historic Park.

Leaders from both groups simultaneously spoke over one another.

The leader of the Workers World Party, who is referred to as Uncle Mike, told his group “the Workers World Party is hereby suspending any participation in this rally. These are not our politics.”

Credit: Kylie Cooper

Uncle Mike, the leader of the Workers World Party, suspended participation in the rally due to leaders speaking over each other. 

While leaders continued to discuss, the over 1000 protesters sitting in the field in front of Independence Hall chanted “United together, divided we fall.”

Both groups have now left Independence Hall and are marching once again, in the same direction. 

Marching comes to a halt on the way to the Liberty Bell

Update at 4:00 p.m. on June 4

Marching came to a stop when the group of over 1000 protesters was met by another, smaller group of protesters.

Leaders of the second group, comprised of members of the Workers World Party, urged the larger group of protesters to be “clear about what they are fighting for.”

After heated discussion between leaders of the two groups, Lee Scott Lorde, one of the leaders from the larger group, implored everyone to “unite in seeking justice.”

The standstill lasted about 15 minutes, after which the demonstrators continued marching to the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall.

Credit: Kylie Cooper

Groups of protesters merged together near Liberty Bell as leaders demand everyone "unite in seeking justice". 

Hundreds of demonstrators gather at LOVE Statue

Updated at 3:24 p.m. on June 4

As the temperature continues to climb above 90 degrees, protesters gathered at the LOVE Statue for the first time this week.

Protesters gathered around the LOVE statue, as a leader proclaimed "racism is a public health crisis". 

“We need to call Health Commissioner Farley and tell him to declare racism a public health crisis,” Lee Scott Lorde, one of the leaders of today’s demonstration, said. “We need to call and write to Mayor Kenney and tell him to declare racism a public health crisis.”

Hundreds of demonstrators followed with cheers, as Lorde continued.

“All the ills of our society stand for racism. A lot of people in power have implicit bias, and they think that they are liberal just because they hold up a ‘Black Lives Matter’ sign outside their houses,” she said.

After nearly 20 minutes of speeches, the demonstrators have begun marching towards the Liberty Bell, chanting “We want what? Liberty.”

Demonstrators gather at Philadelphia Museum of Art to begin sixth straight day of protests.  

Updated at 2:34 p.m. on June 4

For the sixth straight day in Philadelphia, demonstrators gathered to protest the police murder of George Floyd and demand justice for Black lives.

Two hundred demonstrators met at the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art around 2 p.m. 

A leader began the march with a prayer, speaking on the need for systematic change and visible action to be taken in the country, which have prompted the nationwide protests. 

One leader acknowledged the length of the protest and said, “We’re not just marching to march. We’re tired of talking.”

To a crowd of around 200 protesters, actor and producer Sixx King said, "Real cops protect and serve. Fake cops reflect and self-serve.”

The group is expected to grow, one of the leaders said, and plans to march to City Hall, the LOVE Statue, and the Liberty Bell.

Police allow demonstrators to disperse peacefully, without arrests

Updated at 6:38 p.m. on June 3

The group of over 1,000 demonstrators have stopped at Cecil B. Moore Avenue and Broad Street on Temple University’s campus. 

Protest leaders climbed on top of trashcans and instructed the group to remain close together in an effort to prevent police from making arrests.

On Wednesday morning, police reported 703 arrests have been made since protests began on Saturday. Of those arrests, 488 have been for curfew violations and failing to disperse.

“Give us a moment, brothers, to disperse safely,” a protest leader said to the dozens of police officers. Police allowed demonstrators to disperse peacefully and did not make any arrests for those who broke tonight’s 6 p.m. curfew.

One of the demonstration leaders announced city protests will resume tomorrow at the Philadelphia Museum of Art at 2 p.m.

Credit: Kylie Cooper

Protesters gathered in front of Moore Hall on Temple University's campus. 

As curfew nears, demonstrators march toward Temple University

Updated at 5:35 p.m. on June 3

Earlier today, Mayor Kenney announced a city-wide curfew beginning at 6 p.m. 

With minutes until the curfew, demonstration leaders decided to leave the City Hall area. A leader described the protesters as "sitting ducks,” as dozens of police officers and the National Guard patrol the City Hall area.

Credit: Kylie Cooper

Protesters kneeled at City Hall while the 6 p.m. curfew passed. 

The DP interviews one of the leaders of the Philadelphia demonstrations

Updated at 5:17 p.m. on June 3

As over 1,000 protesters marched back to City Hall from the Philadelphia Museum of Art, a reporter from The Daily Pennsylvanian interviewed Sam Barton, one of the leaders of today’s demonstration.

Credit: Kylie Cooper

Protesters chant "This is just the beginning! Keep your peace, because that is contagious!" outside the Philadelphia Museum of Art steps. 

“I’m just a Black kid who’s tired of seeing other Black kids die,” Barton said. 

He said protests will resume on Saturday at 12:30 p.m. after concluding later tonight.

Barton said he won’t stop protesting until tangible change takes place in response to ongoing police brutality. 

“I see the protests going until we see actual change — an actual law drafted or an official or commissioner telling us that something is going to change, something that we can read and understand and see it’s really going to change the law,” Barton said.

Hundreds of demonstrators kneel at the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art

Updates at 4:29 p.m. on June 3

Hundreds of demonstrators have marched to the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art and are kneeling silently for nine minutes, with their fists raised. 

Demonstrators marched to the Philadelphia Museum of Art and kneeled silently for nine minutes, with their fists raised.                                

The nine minutes are representative of the length of time the Minneapolis police officer knelt on George Floyd’s neck, and have been a consistent symbol during the protests.

Prior to the nine minutes of silence, demonstration leaders reminded the group to stay hydrated and passed around bottles of water. The group has been marching throughout the city for over two hours, with the temperature hitting over 80 degrees.

After nine minutes, demonstration leaders stood up and spoke to the hundreds on the steps below and told demonstrators: "Keep your peace, because it is contagious,” and "This is just the beginning."

Demonstrators lie in street for nine minutes

Updated at 3:34 p.m. on June 3

Hundreds of protesters lay in the intersection of Broad and Parrish Streets for nine minutes. 

Before laying down, two protesters recited Floyd’s final words: “I can’t breathe. I can’t breathe. Everything hurts. They’re going to kill me. I can’t breathe.”

Over a dozen police officers have followed the large group of demonstrators on bicycles and in police vehicles. While the group continued marching, many of them simultaneously spoke to the nearby police officers. Officers said, “We want the same justice,” and “We’re on the same team, man."

Prosecutors announce new charges against Minneapolis police officers

Updated at 3:04 p.m. on June 3

Prosecutors in Minneapolis announced earlier today they are charging white police officer, Derek Chauvin, accused of homicide by pressing his knee against George Floyd’s neck, with second-degree murder as opposed to third-degree murder. For the first time, prosecutors are also announcing charges against the three other officers present at the scene of Floyd’s death, the Inquirer reported.

One of the demonstrators at City Hall announced the news to loud cheers from the crowd.

Hundreds of demonstrators are now marching North with their hands in the air, chanting, “Hands up, don’t shoot.” A leader of the group reminded the demonstrators to “be peaceful and stay together.”

Protesters chant "Hands up, Don't Shoot!" as they march north. 

Demonstrators gather at spot where Frank Rizzo statue once stood to begin fifth day of demonstrations

Updated at 2:25 p.m. on June 3

Approximately one hundred demonstrators gathered around the location where the statue of the late, former Philadelphia Mayor and Police Commissioner Frank Rizzo once stood, singing "My Country Tis of Thee" to begin the fifth day of Philadelphia protests over the murder of George Floyd.  

Demonstrators gather around the spot where the Rizzo statue once stood for a fifth day of protests. 

Frank Rizzo statue removed in the middle of the night 

Updated at 11:30 a.m. on June 3

Following four straight nights of demonstrations in Philadelphia over the murder of George Floyd, the controversial statue of the late, former Mayor and Police Commissioner Frank Rizzo has been removed.

Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney announced the statue would be permanently moved within the "next month or so" on Sunday, after demonstrators attempted to bring the statue to the ground in protests on Saturday. Kenney originally vowed to move the statue in 2017 but due to structural issues and constant foot traffic in the area, the process was delayed. In light of protests over the past days and the statue being secured by the National Guard, the process was expedited. 

Credit: Kylie Cooper

Demonstrators disperse, plan to resume tomorrow at 2 p.m.

Updated at 9:12 p.m. on June 2

After a demonstrator spoke for less than ten minutes about plans to resume protests tomorrow at 2 p.m., the remaining demonstrators left Aviator Park.

Dozens of police had followed the demonstration to the Park, but there was no confrontation between police and demonstrators. No arrests were made and demonstrators left the park peacefully.

None of the demonstrators were arrested at Aviator Park, despite the pass of the 8:30 p.m. curfew. 

8:30 p.m. curfew passes, demonstrators continue peacefully

Updated at 8:58 p.m. on June 2

Nearly 30 minutes after the 8:30 curfew, demonstrators have continued marching through the streets of Philadelphia to the Shakespeare Memorial in Aviator Park.

Around 250 demonstrators have taken a knee as one speaker announces protests will continue tomorrow at 2 p.m. at City Hall.

Demonstrators head towards Center City with minutes left until 8:30 p.m. curfew. 

Updated at 8:25 p.m. on June 2

Demonstrators chanted “No justice, no peace!” along the intersection of 22nd and Walnut Streets. As the 8:30 p.m. curfew neared, residents have begun banging pots and pans in support of the demonstrators. 

Credit: Kylie Cooper

Residents bang their pots and pans in support for demonstrators. 

Hundreds of demonstrators sit in street in front of Penn President's house, Huntsman Hall 

Updated at 8:02 p.m. on June 2

After a day of peaceful protesting throughout the city, hundreds of demonstrators sat silently along Walnut Street between 38th and 39th Streets, in front of Penn's Jon M. Huntsman Hall and Penn President Amy Gutmann's home.

Protesters block the streets of 38th and Walnut. 

Before sitting, chants of "UPenn pull your funding" and "Silence is violence" rang out.

After nine minutes of sitting silently, one demonstrator stood up and shouted, “This is peaceful! This is what we want to do. Are y’all done?” as hundreds cheered and rose. The group is now marching back to City Hall.

Earlier today, Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney announced another curfew would be in place beginning at 8:30 p.m.

Demonstrators disperse shortly after 6 p.m. curfew

Updated at 6:55 p.m. on June 1

After fleeing from canisters of tear gas fired from armored police vehicles, demonstrators continued chants on the nearby John F. Kennedy Boulevard. Around 6:10 p.m., demonstrators left the JFK Boulevard, following the Mayor's curfew set in place earlier in the day.

Dozens of demonstrators arrested on I-676, police and demonstrators in a standoff on JFK Boulevard 

Updated at 5:42 p.m. on June 1

As the 6 p.m. Monday curfew nears, dozens of demonstrators have been arrested and are lined up alongside the I-676, with their hands zip-tied together as city police watch over.

On John F. Kennedy Boulevard, hundreds of demonstrators chant “Hands up, don’t shoot” while other demonstrators on the I-676 highway below remain barred from leaving police custody.

Armored vehicles arrive on highway, firing tear gas into crowd of demonstrators

Updated at 5:13 p.m. on June 1

Minutes after demonstrators stopped traffic on the highway, armored police vehicles arrived, and shot canisters of tear gas into the crowd. Packed closely together along the crowded highway, demonstrators were left with nowhere to go, and attempted to scramble up walls as vehicles moved closer.

Thousands of demonstrators march onto I-676 highway 

Updated at 4:58 p.m. on June 1

After marching around City Hall, thousands of demonstrators headed North and are now occupying the Interstate 676 highway. Traffic has come to a complete halt.

While demonstrators march on the highway, a strong police and National Guard presence remains at City Hall. The demonstration has remained peaceful.

Hundreds of demonstrators headed to City Hall

Updated at 4:14 p.m. on June 1

Demonstrators have headed West and are marching towards City Hall. Police on bicycles formed a blockade line in front of protesters and attempted to stop them briefly, but quickly let them pass.

Credit: Kylie Cooper

Policemen line in front of protesters as they march on towards City Hall. 

Hundreds of demonstrators laid down on 11th and Market Streets for two minutes, chanting “I can’t breathe.”

After standing up, a leader shouted, “We’re going to 16th Street!” The crowd erupted in cheers.

Peaceful protest begins in front in front of Philadelphia Police Department

Updated at 3:42 p.m. on June 1

At 3 p.m., hundreds of demonstrators congregated at the intersection of 8th and Race Streets in front of the 8th District Philadelphia Police Department building, chanting, “No justice, no peace! No racist police!”

A number of speakers from the Party for Socialism and Liberation began speaking to the crowd, as dozens of police officers stood guard outside of the Police Department entrance.

Protesters gather for the third day with signs demanding Justice for Geroge Floyd. 

Philadelphia will institute curfew for the third consecutive night on Monday

Updated at 2:54 p.m. on June 1

Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney announced a citywide curfew beginning Monday evening at 6 p.m. and ending Tuesday morning at 6 a.m.

After a weekend of peaceful demonstrations in Center City were followed by looting and rioting in surrounding areas, Philadelphia called upon the National Guard to aid police in curbing violence and vandalism last night. The National Guard continues to patrol in front of City Hall and other Philadelphia streets, CBS Philly reported.

The National Guard arrived in Philadelphia on June 1 to curb vandalism and violence. 

After day of looting and destruction, residents gather together to clean up West Phila. on Monday morning

Updated at 11:47 a.m. on June 1

Dozens of Philadelphians gathered together early Monday morning, bringing brooms and trash bags to clear debris from the streets of Center City and West Philadelphia.

Following Saturday's initially peaceful demonstrations, dozens of people looted and broke into stores in Center City and West Philadelphia late Saturday and throughout the day on Sunday.

Kyu Om, a Villanova graduate who opened the now family-owned store Qns Discount, located along 52nd Street, said in the 30 years he has owned his store, he had never seen looting and vandalism as severe as over the past two days.

While he pointed to the severity of the looting, he said the cleanup efforts on Monday morning demonstrated the strength of the West Philadelphia community.

“Look at all the people helping," Om said. "The fact that you have more good people out here helping shows a lot."

Credit: Kylie Cooper

University operations will be suspended for Monday, June 1

Updated at 9:14 p.m. on May 31

Penn announced all University operations will be suspended for June 1, as Philadelphia announced emergency operations will be in place throughout the city, according to a UPennAlert sent at 9:05 p.m.

Only employees deemed as essential for life safety activity, who are notified by their supervisors, should report to work and all health employees working in downtown Center City should follow direction of their supervisors.

Trump takes to Twitter to push Phila. to call on National Guard. The city had already made the call.

1968 Wharton graduate and President Donald Trump took to Twitter on Sunday afternoon and commented on the Philadelphia protests for the first time. 

He encouraged the city of Philadelphia to call upon the United States National Guard forces. Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf had announced earlier in the day he had requested the National Guard to aid police in Philadelphia and Montgomery County.

Trump has been active on Twitter over the past few days, particularly in critiques of Democratic leaders for their responses to protests around the nation reacting to the police murder of George Floyd. 

Phila. curfew moved up two hours, will begin at 6 p.m.

The City of Philadelphia announced on Twitter the citywide curfew would begin at 6 p.m. on Sunday and last until 6 a.m. on Monday morning.

Following a day of protests throughout Center City on Saturday, Philadelphia instituted an 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew. The peaceful protests, which started at noon on Saturday, grew violent in the evening and culminated in vandalizing, looting, violence, and more than two hundred civilian arrests.  

SEPTA will also all services at 6 p.m. on Sunday to aid in implementing the curfew, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

A police helicopter flew over City Hall on Saturday evening.

Phila. orders all retail businesses to close immediately

City officials announced on Sunday afternoon all retail businesses must close immediately to help enforce the 6 p.m. curfew. 

Many Center City stores were robbed, vandalized, or set on fire, following a day of protests and looting on Saturday. In response, many stores boarded their windows and shut their doors.

As looting continued into Sunday, retail businesses were told to close immediately.

Phila. mayor says Rizzo statue will be permanently moved

Mayor Jim Kenney announced the controversial statue of the late, former Philadelphia Mayor and Police Commissioner Frank Rizzo located across from City Hall would be relocated in the coming month.

Hundreds of demonstrators gathered around the statue on Saturday and attempted to pull it to the ground.

The statue, installed in 1999, has been controversial for years, as many view Rizzo as having been discriminatory against people of color and the LGBTQ community. In December 2019, the statue was vandalized with the word ‘fascist.’

Kenney initially promised to move the 2,000 lb. statue in 2017 but said Sunday the process was delayed by way in which the statue was installed.

"I can't wait to see it go away," Kenney said.

Protesters attempted to take down the statue of Rizzo on Saturday afternoon.