joebiden-nationalconstitutioncenter-4
Credit: Sukhmani Kaur

PHILADELPHIA — Back in May 2019, Joe Biden kicked off his presidential campaign outside the Philadelphia Art Museum. He was the early front-runner in a crowded field that would soon grow to the biggest in primary history.

In the following months, the former vice president's campaign endured twists and turns, falling to a drastic low just less than a month ago after three consecutive brutal losses in Iowa, New Hampshire, and Nevada.

But on Tuesday night, the former Penn Presidential Professor of Practice returned to Philadelphia to deliver a victorious speech, reclaiming his mantle as the clear front-runner for the Democratic presidential nomination.

After triumphing in the Michigan, Missouri, and Mississippi primaries, Biden struck a conciliatory tone with regards to Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) as he took a major step toward facing 1968 Wharton graduate and President Donald Trump in November.

"I want to thank Bernie Sanders and his supporters for their tireless energy and their passion," Biden said. "We share a common goal and together we'll defeat Donald Trump."

Biden spoke at the National Constitution Center due to the cancelation of his rally in Cleveland, Ohio amid the coronavirus outbreak. Only press and Biden's campaign staff were in attendance at the speech, which took place near his Philadelphia campaign headquarters.

Credit: Son Nguyen

Biden touted the numerous former Democratic presidential candidates that are endorsing him, citing former South Bend, Ind. Mayor Pete Buttigieg, former Rep. Beto O'Rourke (D-Tex.), Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.), Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), and former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg — who held a rally at the same location in early February.

Claiming that there is widespread fear sweeping the United States and the world, Biden said "presidential leadership" is needed.

"If I'm given the honor of becoming your president, I promise you, I'll strive to give the nation that very leadership every day," Biden said. "That's the reason why I'm running for president. I believe we're at an incredible moment in American history, a phenomenal opportunity to deliver a bold progressive vision to the American people."

Biden's supporters danced and cheered at the end of his speech, celebrating a second straight Tuesday filled with primary victories.