aj-brodeur-player-of-the-week
Credit: Son Nguyen

Another Penn basketball game, another impact performance by AJ Brodeur. 

After stuffing the stat sheet in Penn’s 66-59 victory over Temple, AJ Brodeur showed that he continues to be the center of the Quakers’ offense, earning him DP Sports Player of the Week. 

In what was a defensive battle early on, Brodeur had no problem finding the basket as he poured in 12 first-half points. He continued to offensively produce points as the game went on, finishing with 19 points on 50% shooting from the field. 

Brodeur’s impact on the game was not limited to his 19 points. The senior forward also tallied 14 rebounds, six assists, and two blocks as he made his presence felt in all aspects of Saturday’s contest.

Although the contest seemed to be all but over with several minutes left in the second half, trouble at the foul line made the game’s outcome much closer than anticipated. On a day in which Penn converted just 59% of its free throw attempts, Brodeur led the team with six free throws on eight attempts.

After a victory earlier in the season against La Salle, the Quakers had dropped their previous two Big 5 contests against Villanova and Saint Joseph’s. Saturday offered the Quakers an opportunity close Big 5 play out on a positive note after going undefeated against their local rivals last season. Thanks to another of Brodeur’s dominant performances, the Red and Blue were able to do just that. 

The Quakers will continue rely on Brodeur to play a large part in their success as they move into Ivy League play this weekend with a pair of home contests against Harvard and Dartmouth.