mbb-temple-ray-jerome-block

Where does Ray Jerome's monster block rank on our countdown of this week's top basketball plays?

This week, both Penn men's and women's basketball were in action against Big 5 rival Temple. While both teams jumped out to early leads, the men were able to hold off a late push by the Owls and hang on for a 66-59 win, while the women fell, 76-72, after a late Temple surge. But irrespective of the outcome, there were plenty of opportunities for the Quakers to make some highlights over both games.

No. 5: Solid passing leads to an easy score for Tori Crawford

Good team basketball has always been a staple for the women’s team, especially against Temple, where the Quakers recorded 21 assists. After dribbling into a double team, freshman guard Kayla Padilla threw a beautiful leaping pass out to the top of the arc, where the Red and Blue swung the ball around the perimeter and set up junior Tori Crawford for an easy reverse layup. 

No. 4: Eleah Parker gets the Quakers back in the game

After entering the fourth quarter with a double-digit lead, women’s basketball struggled out the gate in the period, allowing the Owls to go on a 22-5 run. Needing to stop the bleeding, the Quakers looked to junior center Eleah Parker, who fought through contact and got her layup to go along with a foul, pulling Penn to within one point of the Temple lead.

No. 3: Dingle puts the game away

After jumping out to a double-digit lead early in the contest, Penn men’s basketball spent the second half slowly watching the margin shrink to single digits. Once the Owls pulled the game to six, standout freshman guard Jordan Dingle nailed a contested three-pointer. The next trip up the floor, the Ivy League Rookie of the Week pulled up from the top of the key and put the game away for good by expanding Penn's lead to 12.

No. 2: Michae Jones hits a tough floater to put the women ahead

Shortly after Parker converted her and-one, the Quakers found themselves running on the fast-break. Junior guard Michae Jones cut into the lane and got a shooter’s bounce on her floater to put Penn back on top. 

No. 1: Ray Jerome swats Monty Scott into oblivion

After contributing to two of the top five plays last week, Ray Jerome finds himself in the No. 1 spot this week. After missing a three on one end, the senior guard was not deterred, chasing down Temple’s junior guard Monty Scott as he attempted to start a fast break and blocking his layup attempt into the first few rows of the Penn Band.